_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Does Tamiya AM KT tracks fit Dragon KT kits?
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 07:41 PM UTC
Hello everyone,

I have searched but have not been able to find the answer to this question, hopefully someone knows the answer and can help me out.

I am wondering if Tamiya King Tiger (after market)tracks will fit on a Dragon King Tiger..last production kit.

I have looked at other after market tracks but they are more than 2x the cost of the Tamiya tracks....are the Tamiya tracks any good?

I was also wondering if anyone has any they may be interested in selling, including Magic Tracks?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!!
Eric
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 07:55 PM UTC
If I recall right, the Last production tracks and drive sprockets are different. So if you're talking about Tamiya's track kit #35165, those won't work.

Standard production drive sprockets are 9 tooth and last production drive sprockets are 18 tooth.
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 08:02 PM UTC
Thank you for your quick reply...I believe the Dragon kit comes with both, giving you the option....but I may be wrong.

Thanks,
Eric
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 08:06 PM UTC
Sorry, I messed up..it is not the "Last production" kit but #6232, Late Production w/ New style track.

I am sorry for any confusion...just ordered it...lol.
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:25 PM UTC
6232 has the 9 tooth sprockets included on one of the sprues. You can check the instructions at Hobby Search to see what sprue they're on.

If you plan on using the Kgs 73/800/152 tracks in this kit, you'll need to find additional F2 track links. The F1 links are no good because they are mirrored. The final/last production KTs used a single type of track link, as depicted by part F2. The run was flipped over for use on the other side of the vehicle. Unfortunately, no AM company makes a complete and correct asymmetrical (unhanded) set of tracks. All of the available sets come as mirrored runs and you'd end up laying out way too much mazuma in order to get one usable set.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello everyone,

I have searched but have not been able to find the answer to this question, hopefully someone knows the answer and can help me out.

I am wondering if Tamiya King Tiger (after market)tracks will fit on a Dragon King Tiger..last production kit.

I have looked at other after market tracks but they are more than 2x the cost of the Tamiya tracks....are the Tamiya tracks any good?

I was also wondering if anyone has any they may be interested in selling, including Magic Tracks?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!!
Eric

If you want a set of late-style tracks, Hobby Boss has a cheap, non-workable set intended for the 18-tooth sprocket. It's made for the Tamiya kit (and includes extra teeth to modify the Tamiya drive sprocket). Not sure how well it fits Dragon's part, though.
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:58 PM UTC
Thank you for all the reply's. If I understand correctly as long as I use the 9 tooth drive sprocket that comes with the kit...I can use the Tamiya track kit #35165?

The reason I am asking is that from what I have read...the KT late track were not used until the final production of 30 or so tanks in March 45. I want to model a KT with Zimmerit, so I can not use the kit supplied tracks since zimmerit would not have been applied to those tanks, or am I wrong?

Thank you,
Eric
supaderpa
Visit this Community
Malaysia
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 11:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you want a set of late-style tracks, Hobby Boss has a cheap, non-workable set intended for the 18-tooth sprocket. It's made for the Tamiya kit (and includes extra teeth to modify the Tamiya drive sprocket). Not sure how well it fits Dragon's part, though.

I've used the track set on my dragon last production KT with no fit issues. I was under the impression that it was a direct copy of the tracks in the dragon 6232 kit

Quoted Text

Thank you for all the reply's. If I understand correctly as long as I use the 9 tooth drive sprocket that comes with the kit...I can use the Tamiya track kit #35165?

The reason I am asking is that from what I have read...the KT late track were not used until the final production of 30 or so tanks in March 45. I want to model a KT with Zimmerit, so I can not use the kit supplied tracks since zimmerit would not have been applied to those tanks, or am I wrong?

Thank you,
Eric

Zimmerit would have ceased being applied to tanks after September 1944 so last production KTs would definitely not have any zim on it.
Cuny12
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 378 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 05:18 AM UTC
Hi mate

I have a set of Magic Tracks for this kit and possibly a spare couple of sprockets.

From what I could dig up don't bother with the Hobbyboss or Tamiya tracks, personally I use Fruils on my kits they're the only way to go let me know what you want to do and we will work something out Cheers Ben.
Cuny12
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 378 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 05:57 AM UTC
The Dragon Kit with New pattern tracks slightly depicts an Ardennes KT from the 506 which this turret Number should have Zimm,
No big deal if your not a box art modeller although I think the kit. Ones with. Oth types of sprocket.

Minus the zimm the tank is relatively accurate with the late pattern tracks.

Another Dollars worth, cheers Ben.
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 04:40 PM UTC
Thank you for your offer Ben, and everyone else for your suggestions. You have a great community here with so many helpful people, so quickly.

I think that I am going to change kits...I just purchased Dragon #6302...KT w/ zimmmerit, and this kit has the magic tracks included, metal barrel, side molded muzzle, etc.

I placed the other one on EBay...easier this way and also cheaper in the long run, without all the after market stuff.

Thanks again for all your help.

Eric

_GOTOTOP