_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Allied Landingcraft
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 12:03 AM UTC
Hiya Chaps.

Anybody got an info on Allied Landing craft (mainly tank carrier type) that were used in operation Overlord the Normandy Landings?

Does anyone know of a good site or model manufacturer in 1/35th?

I seem to remember an article last year but I cannot find it.

Thanks

Cromwell
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 12:14 AM UTC
Accurate Armor has a 1/35 landing craft I think!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 12:18 AM UTC
Ola Cromwell

Italeri pronounced an LCM3 at the nurenburg show this year. I have no clue what the price of this kit will be
here is a pic of it:

Further Verlinden has a LCM3 wich will be a bit more expensive then the Italeri one

And of course there is the old 1:32 Lindbergh Kit don`t know much of that kit though

ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Italeri pronounced an LCM3 at the nurenburg show this year. I have no clue what the price of this kit will be

If you check the future releases list on the Hannants site they give a provisional price of £32.99 (GBP), which to me seems a bargain price for such a large kit (aprox 18 inches/43.5 cm long). Of course this could change by the time it actually arives.

One other manufacturer of landing craft kits, Fonderie Miniatures. They do the American LCVP and a British LCA, although some reviews have been less that favorable, and they may be too small for your needs. Also, this site may be useful, although it's in French,

http://www.netmarine.net/bat/tcd/rapiere/indo/lcm.htm

and this one.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ships/ships-slc.html#lvt
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 05:51 AM UTC
Just to clarify things:

LCMs were not used to land tanks at Normandy. The LCM6 -- which is the same as the LCM3, but is extended in the middle -- was used to land tanks in many ops in the Pacific, as well as for the Rhine crossings. LCM3s would have been used to land troops and perhaps a few softskins, like jeeps and Dodges.

Tanks were landed at Normandy from LCTs (like the Accurate Armour kit) and LSTs.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 07:57 AM UTC
Hey Hollowpoint. What about Bren Carriers and Jeeps? Would the LCM3 have landed those?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 08:52 AM UTC
I do not think so ShermiesRule. Like Bob stated LSTs and LCTs were used for vehicle transport. LCMs were used for other duites though, Many were employed for casualty transporting. See pics below:

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 08:53 AM UTC

Hollowpoint is absolutely correct! The tanks were all off-loaded from LCT's and LST's. I came across a site just recently that had a great collection of photograph's showing just how crowded those things got.

to FAUST or ukgeoff: When is that LCM-3 due out?? That kit is a definite must have!

Tread.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Hollowpoint. What about Bren Carriers and Jeeps? Would the LCM3 have landed those?

Perhaps -- it's certainly possible. I wouldn't expect to see many vehicle in the first couple waves ashore, however.

If they belonged to the Infantry, they might bring them in. I have a couple shots of Universal Carriers coming off of LCTs, but no LCM3s. You might want to check out websites about Juno, Sword, Gold beaches and see if you can find some pics -- It seems that they brought in lots of vehicles early, unlike the U.S. beaches.. Pics I see of Omaha and Utah late on D-Day show lots of vehicles coming off LCTs and LSTs. Researching this would be a good excuse to go to the library to look for books and tapes/DVDs of documentaries.

You have to keep in mind that LCMs, LCVPs, LCAs and other small landing craft did not cross the Channel under their own power -- they were inside larger ships, like the Landing Ship, Dock (LSD). The craft floated out of the LSD, but on other ships, they were lowered from davits. I'd imagine they tried to keep to weight in each down to avoid accidents.
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 09:20 AM UTC
Heya, Treadhead,

Do you have the address to or name of the website you mentioned with all of the Landing Craft photos...? Sounds, great... I'd like ta check it out...

Thanks!

Aloha,

Johnny B.
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

to FAUST or ukgeoff: When is that LCM-3 due out?? That kit is a definite must have!

It may be a while before it hits the model shop shelves. According to the new kit list in the latest FSM (April issue) that arrived today, it is scheduled for a winter release date.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 11:41 AM UTC
Howdy Guys,

to Hollowpoint: Who needs an excuse to go to the library? Not me, I'm there about every other day! :-)

to Havoc: I just got back from taking the kids swimming, and I was trying to think of that web site while I was gone........stil haven't shaken it lose. But I'll keep on hittin' the synapse's.

to ukgeoff: Bad news! Lie to me geoff!....lie to me.......tell me it'll be soon, the lie is easier to take!......darn.

Tread
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 08:19 PM UTC
Well.....................I didn't think I would get this reaction, cheers chaps
Mr Roo Accurate Armour do a LCT but a £400 (no typo here boys four hundred quid) it is a bit out of my wallet league.

So......................It's down to waiting for Italeri then, Thanks for the links everyone.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 09:51 PM UTC
the italeri kit is due out around november?december this year apparently hannants have it listed at an unbelivable price of £32.99 alot of kit for not alot of money :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) guess what I'll be wanting for christmas!
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 10:43 AM UTC
Here's a link to an interesting collection of photos from a sailor in an LCM unit. Very cool shots from the Rhine crossings as well -- check out the LCM3s loaded onto M26 Dragon Wagons as well as the shots of them unloading M4A1 Shermans!

http://www.freehomepages.com/bdk/PvtAllee.htm
 _GOTOTOP