_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Early king tiger tracks
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 05:23 PM UTC
It appears there are at least two different types of double linked tracks that were used with 9 tooth drive sprocket on the tiger ii. One has conventional double track links, the other has small bridge links with 3 separate connecting pieces. Which would be appropriate for early production Porsche turret tiger iis?
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 09:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It appears there are at least two different types of double linked tracks that were used with 9 tooth drive sprocket on the tiger ii. One has conventional double track links, the other has small bridge links with 3 separate connecting pieces. Which would be appropriate for early production Porsche turret tiger iis?

Gg 24/800/300 (with the bridge and three connecting links) would be suitable for Porsche Turm KTs. There are two types available from Friulmodel:

ATL-41, which has the flat bridge link, and
ATL-22, which has the cast bridge link

Both sets can only be used with Porsche turreted vehicles; although, ATL-22 can also be used on Jagdtigers with Porsche suspension and on the test JT with the Henschel suspension.

You also might want to check if Spade Ace or Masterclub have these type tracks.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 10:34 PM UTC
I did a set of Fruils with the 3 connecting pieces for my Porsche Jagdtiger,just so tedious but they came out great,Fruil provides a jig to assemble them.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2016 - 12:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I did a set of Fruils with the 3 connecting pieces for my Porsche Jagdtiger,just so tedious but they came out great,Fruil provides a jig to assemble them.

That makes my head spin
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2016 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As far as I know, the only unit to use tanks equipped with these tracks was the Panzer Lehr Division, who received the first five King Tigers off the production line. They were attached to the division's Tiger I company, which were equipped as control vehicles for B-IV demolition tractors. The divisional commander was initially pleased, but later tried to give the King Tigers back, as they broke down constantly.
They had very early features--snorkel mount on the rear deck, no armor coaming around the turret ring, and Tiger I style exhaust pipes--later, curved exhaust pipes were substituted, which were longer than the factory standard ones.
These tanks had huge two-digit white numbers on the turret sides, and a very fine Zimmerit pattern. Cyber Hobby offered this version as a kit at one time.
By the time King Tigers started to be issued to the heavy tank battalions in the late spring of 1944, the nine-tooth sprocket and later double link tracks were standard.
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2016 - 04:38 AM UTC
For your reading pleasure:

Die Sohlen der Tiger
 _GOTOTOP