_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Horror of the trenches
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,179 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 11:33 PM UTC
Hi all not my normal genre but my son bought me a load of 1/72 ww1 models for my birthday then casually dropped into the conversation that he would like them used in a dio for his school (he's head of history) well i found out that they all came from different periods of the first ww so can't all be used in the same dio so I decided to do 3 or 4 going from the start to the end, here is the start of the either first or second (I realise trenches weren't used in the first part) (I'm ashamed to say I know very little about ww1, but I'm learning fast)
I need to cool it down a bit, I think the explosion is still too hot and still have to add debris and stuff but pleased with progress so far. I'm actually quite enjoying this even though it was sort of forced on me and is not my normal genre, maybe I should do more stuff like this.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 12:39 AM UTC
Wow !!! That is very impressive. I like the way the mud is being pushed out from the trench by the concussive effects.
J
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 04:34 AM UTC
Looks very interesting Ken,

Maybe fluff/tease out the cotton wool a bit more & as you say some fine bits of debris resting in it.

Is this going to be a night-bombardment scene or will it work in daytime? I was thinking if the former you could enclose it in a big black box so it could be viewed in daylight maybe. And I think it looks perfectly “hot” as is!

Cheers, Tim
bprice1974
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 196 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 07:07 AM UTC
Interesting, I will be following this to see how it goes and how you accomplish your concept. Thanks for taking the time share you work.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 07:34 AM UTC
Agree with the prior comments. This looks really promising. As to the explosion being "too hot," for all we know, a shell landed on a cache of grenades, mortar shells, or ammo of some kind. Looking forward to your progress!
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 01:57 AM UTC
Hi all here is the next bit, I remodeled it a little bit, I stuck the smashed up ladder and other bits of debris, then I kept looking at it and thinking what is wrong with it? Then it dawned on me they were broken but unmarked, no scorching or burning, so I've fixed that but it still seems wrong, any suggestions.

americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 02:31 AM UTC
that's cool! hard to replicate explosions in a dio but that looks awesome
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 04:25 AM UTC
Nice progress! If I may suggest,, the sandbag wall seems a bit too tidy for a frontline position.
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hi all here is another update.

kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:33 PM UTC
Hi all well i think this is finished (unless someone can tell me something is wrong with it) next one will be the start of the war, lots of mortar holes and mud. Will take some better pics in daylight.

kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2016 - 09:55 PM UTC
Hi all made a start on the next one, this will be set prior to the trenches one so will basically be a muddy field.

The depression in the middle will be filled with muddy water .
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2016 - 10:58 PM UTC
Ken, I'd get rid of the ladder in the trench as it's nearly as wide as the soldiers are tall and the rungs are about three feet apart scalewise. The trench is a bit wide and deep compared to photos of the time but it conveys the idea. I particularly like the explosion when it's turned on. How did you do it?
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hi all here is how I did the explosion I got the idea from Ian W I've changed the method a bit but this is basically it, obviously it needs colour and smoke yet but this is the basic start of it.

kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 10:28 PM UTC
Hi all well since Mike wants these done for after the Xmas break I thought I better have a go at my worst subject the planes, I've started with the easiest and this will be the crashed one, I've done a mock up of how I visualise it, I've borrowed the the battlefield dio base for this, when I do the Base I'm figuring on doing it in a grassy field or corn field with the Victor flying over.

Did they have parachutes then as if they did maybe I will have the pilot somewhere in it gliding to safety.

kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 - 12:28 AM UTC
Hi all here is the next update,

I may scrap the planes dio (why are planes so blooming difficult)
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 11:41 PM UTC
Ken, the only people who had parachutes were observation balloon crews as they were a sitting duck and the ground crew couldn't wind the balloon down fast enough when it was attacked. I'm not sure if American pilots had parachutes but the RFC were against the idea as they though it would encourage cowardice with pilots bailing out if things got a bit tricky. Probably also down to the fact that chutes were expensive hence British Paras in WW2 didn't get a reserve.
GarethM
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 01:08 AM UTC
Great work.

The skin on the planes were all fabric, so the wing segment would not break off in one single piece with the skin still covering it. If you could somehow build the frame and then have some fabric torn away that would look much better.
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hi all here's the next update

kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 01:27 AM UTC
Hi all well the first one in the series is done I've put the two together since that is how they will be displayed, I'm quite pleased with the outcome so far.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ken, the only people who had parachutes were observation balloon crews as they were a sitting duck and the ground crew couldn't wind the balloon down fast enough when it was attacked. I'm not sure if American pilots had parachutes but the RFC were against the idea as they though it would encourage cowardice with pilots bailing out if things got a bit tricky. Probably also down to the fact that chutes were expensive hence British Paras in WW2 didn't get a reserve.

After years of research on WWI aircraft and flyers, Ive learned the following on WWI parachutes:
1) British and American forces believed parachutes were extraneous to their needs, and indeed, early-on the British mentioned parachutes might cause "early departures" from cockpits, but there were other reasons too-- WWI cockpits were small, so there was little room for a pilot in heavy flight gear and a parachute. Parachutes were largely considered experimental at the time, having origins in circus and stunt performances. And the first parachutes were derived from silk-- which was a short commodity in WWI.
2) German and Austro-Hungarian forces had no problem with parachutes, and in the later stages of the war, German pilots often flew with parachutes-- due to shortages of skilled pilots in the Central Powers, unlike the Allied forces.
3) Observation Balloon crews were not considered aviators,but trained artillery observers and hard to replace, so they were provided parachutes as incentives. If you went up in a balloon, you were likely to get shot down in it, and the resulting fireball was considered an "inhumane" way to die by both sides.
4) Zeppelin and Allied dirigible crews were not routinely provided parachutes for the same reason as #1 above.
5) Other combatants, i.e.; Russians, Italians, Belgians, Brazil, Portugal, Turkey, etc., largely left the decision of parachutes up to individual aircrews for the most part, but did not furnish parachutes to aircrews-- and parachutes were not nearly as common or cheap as they would later become. The French looked at the "practicality" of parachutes and determined they were of limited use --the French Nieuport 17 barely had enough room for a pilot let alone a pilot in a parachute, demonstrating the philosophy of most aircraft designs of the period.

All of this is open to conjecture, because there were exceptions, but I've gleaned information from several sources on WWI aviation history: Aeroplanes and Air Battles of WWI; The Great Air War; They Fought for the Sky; Courage of the Early Morning; Eagles of the Black Cross; Heroes of the Sunlit Sky; Medal of Honor Aviators of WWI; America's First Air War; Numerous issues of Over the Front/Windsock International. There are two others that I consider "marginal" resources: "Aces High" and "Knights of the Air". I've been building a WWI aviation library for several years now, an area sorely neglected in historical information.
VR, Russ
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 11:31 PM UTC
Thanks for your exhaustive research and reply, I really appreciate it.
well I've finished one of my nemesis's, the first plane, I know I'm rubbish at them but I think this would be OK in an infant school, hopefully the older kids will take pity on me as the first two dios are OK.

kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 12:05 AM UTC
Hi all well here is the next installment, I was going to do this crashed in a green valley in the summer but then I thought, this is supposed to be showing the horror of the war, so I decided to have it crashed in a cold snow covered muddy field, so here is the revision, personally I think it looks really cold.

PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 02:05 AM UTC
You really do have a good imagination
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 02:36 AM UTC
Thanks Karl, I decided to put the decals on before I put the wings on or the rigging as I can see it being very fiddly after, I'm figuring that maybe I will rig each layer of wings before I add the next layer, I know nothing about rigging planes, is this a good method or will it cause problems later on.
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 01:27 AM UTC
Now I'm confused, the instructions show the crossover rigging in the wings going through them with the middle of the cross intersecting the centre of the wing the box art shows the starting at the inside of the top wing and going in front of the other two and seeming to attach to the undercarriage and crossing below the centre wings, photos on Google are inconclusive, personally it would be easier if they didn't go through the wings, which is correct.
 _GOTOTOP