_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Airborne Miniatures' new SF Operator figure
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 12:12 AM UTC
Hello all,

please see attached photograph of AM's latest 1/16 figure, "SF Operator" which arrived in the post last week (thank you Maciek).

A great subject, well executed, with excellent detail, the figure suffers from some rather nasty casting blocks, and no instructions.

My wife is away today, and I'm off of work, so I plan on hitting this bad boy with the Dremel, with a view to finishing him in multi-cam for the site over the next week.

thanks,

Kylie
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 01:06 AM UTC
I know one was in the works, but didn't any images of the figure before your post. Looks good. That is a SCAR, right?

Cheers,
Mario
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 01:50 AM UTC
Mario, that is most definitely a SCAR. The stock gives it away.

Regards,

Eric
darkknight69
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 06:09 AM UTC
is that up yet on his website?
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

is that up yet on his website?

No, not yet. The sample I received only had a CAD photo on the box top, not the usual painted figure... maybe there is a delay, or it is a change in presentation for AM?

My plans for world domination, and a day modelling, suffered a terrible set back when I discovered my only Dremel was broken. I managed to keep it together and not go postal, by buying another one on the Visa. You should have seen the wife when I told her... that is was between her eldest child or her dad that it broke, therefore my expenditure was justified. Kind of...

Here is the figure, cleaned up for the most part...

I've discovered two air bubbles, both in innocuous places, and both easily filled. There is a gap at the join between the torso and the butt, that is slightly larger, and will take some filling. But nothing crippling.

Tomorrow, priming.

Kylie
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 01:29 PM UTC
The figure looks really good, thanks for the pics Kylie.

I would be interested to see how it compares to other Airborne Miniatures figures... the traditionally sculpted ones. Is there a lot of difference in the details between the two sculpting techniques?

I talked to Maciek, the official release will probably be next week.

Mario
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would be interested to see how it compares to other Airborne Miniatures figures... the traditionally sculpted ones. Is there a lot of difference in the details between the two sculpting techniques?

Mario

Hello Mario,

I'd say that there is no loss in detail from previous releases, as per photograph below. It shows, left to right, the front torso of the DEVGRU pair, the rear torso, and the current SF Operator. Looking at the two DEVGRU torsos, there is more molded on detail, which is still detailed and accurate. The most current figure has more parts to it than previous releases, which may or may not be an advantage.

The front of the middle torso (DEVGRU) has more detail molded on than the torso of the SF Operator.

Either way, all great releases.

Kylie
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 04:49 AM UTC
Scar H complete, that forward piece of flash is actually the forward iron sight folded down, and all parts primed...

let the painting begin!
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 11:12 AM UTC
Looking good so far!
 _GOTOTOP