_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya 1/35th Sd.Kfz 251/9 Ausf D
Bish69
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:09 PM UTC
My first armour build here is one i have been looking forward to. I have a bit of a fetish for the Sd.Kfz 251. And of all the possable 63 variants, i have 2 favorites, the Stuka zu Fuss and the /9.

I'll be adding an Eduard PE set and i also have this from Verlinden.

While it says its for the Tamiya 251/9, it could be used on any of their 3 251 Ausf D kits. The only parts which relate to the /9 are some ammunition and wicker containers. The only thing i will be useing is the engine as the Eduard set covers the rest. I'll also use a set of Dragon magic tracks from the spares box.

Plus, i have the spares box to hand and a Dragon 3 in 1 kit thats includes a /9

I started off with the hull floor. having done an AFV Club and Dragon 251 recently, its clear how much simpler but less detailed the Tamiya kit is. The ammunition bin in the rear left corner was replaced with the one from the Dragon kit which allows the option to have the box open. The rear seat was replaced with an AFV club one from the spares box but it had to be trimmed a little.

With that the floor was fitted into the hull and the hull sides detailed. Unlike the otehr brands, Tamiya moulds the lower sides onto the bottom of the hull. Which means less chance for me to mess this up.

And the hull top had a few pieces added. I cut out the engine hatch doors and added the inner rim from the Verlinden set.

And then the gun. I had thought about replacing this completly with the Dragon gun. But on checking, it turns out that the /9 Ausf C and early Ausf D have a differant gun to the late Ausf D. While i could have modified the Dragon one, the detail in the tamiya kit with the PE means it would not have been worth the work. I did replace the barrel with a rifled metal one from RB.

And finally a few of the bits left off for painting. On the kit drivers seat i cut off the seat back and replaced it with a Dragon one. And i learnt on my last 251 to leave off the IP until afer painting.

So now to get the inside primed up and painted. I am going to take a different approach to weathering on this, so will see how that turns out.
champy
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:56 PM UTC
Off to a cracking start!
Bish69
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 01:36 AM UTC
Thanks Jason, hope to have more soon. Its currently in the paint shop.
 _GOTOTOP