_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Brit. armor in N. Africa
tija
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 11:29 AM UTC
Anyone know of any books in print and/or web sites of WW2 British armor in North Africa?
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 08:24 PM UTC
Books eh?

Osprey do a book called British Tanks in north Africa 1940-1942.

Ospreys book on the churchill shows some pix of 'Kingforce Churchills in North Africa' and a pic or two of the NA 75 (Churchy mounting the sherman mantlet and gun).

Other than that it's a bit of a lucky dip just keep looking, you'll stumble accross somthing.
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 01:10 AM UTC
Try to find this book, "Tanks in Camera, 1940-43, by David Fletcher (ISBN 0 7509 1568 4) from Sutton Publishing. It contains many photos from the archives of The Tank Muesum, not only of Briish tanks in the desert but also German and American vehicles in Tunisia. It may still be in print, my copy was published in 1998.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 06:48 AM UTC
HI

Just to echo ukgeoff, the "Tanks in Camera" book is super. If I had to keep one Desert war armor reference, it'd be the one. You can get it for a decent price sometimes from Amazon and the like. I paid about $20 for mine, which was a score.

The Concord US Light Tanks at War book has some nice pictures of Honeys in the desert, but they are only a small part of the book.

There's an old Squadron/Signal book on British Armor that is mostly desert stuff. Long OOP. You may be able to find a copy online from a used dealer. I have it, and it's pretty good for Crusaders, Valentines and Matildas.

Cheers
Andy
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 837 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 05:14 AM UTC
The Osprey books on tanks such as the Matilda and Crusader are a good start. I'm pretty sure George Bradfored did a book in the seventies but i can't remember the name?
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Osprey books on tanks such as the Matilda and Crusader are a good start. I'm pretty sure George Bradfored did a book in the seventies but i can't remember the name?

I have it.
It's called; "Armour Camouflage and Markings: North Africa 1940-1943"

It's a good book. Long out of print. Mine is hard cover.

Andy
 _GOTOTOP