_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Best adhesive for vinyl/rubber tracks?
dencoarty12
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:22 AM UTC
Greetings all, I usually build non-tracked allied softskins. Recently, however I was seduced by the AFV Club SdKfz 11. Overall a sweet kit, but the tracks are a pain. Just little tabs to fit into little slots. Not like to old Tamiya tracks I recall. Even more trouble, I also had to shorten each side by a couple of links for a good fit. No adhesive I've tried touches these things including ACC, Epoxy and MEK. Any thoughts? Maybe I'll wait to finish it when the workable link set is released. Thanks, Scott
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:43 AM UTC
Does it say that these tracks can be glued together? If they are like the Tamiya ones, you should be able to glue them together with regular Testor's cement. But perhaps these ones can only be melted together.

Nic
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 07:31 PM UTC
Try either sewing the track ends together or using staples to secure them if the staples can be hidden.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:05 PM UTC
I believe AFV Club is releasing a set of workable links for the sdkfz 251 They also go on the sdkfz 11 I'm not sure when they will be released
Chad #:-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:12 PM UTC
dencoarty12
HeavyArty has it right - sewing, staples or small guage wire is the trick. These will last over time where some glues will breakdown under the stretch of the tracks.

You don't have to be fancy - ordinary office staples should do the deal. If they are easy to see "Weather'em". Add mud, dirt etc to cover the staples. #:-)
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 12:01 AM UTC
I have a small "pocket stapler" which uses a staple less than a 1/4 inch wide. Two of them, staggered over the track ends does a great job. After stapling, i use a pair ofpliers to really flatten the staples, and then I go on with my painting, weathering, etc, to complete the look. This is a very secure method, fast, and very cheap! The only way to go, as far as I'm concerned!

BTW - staples also make GREAT "handles" for your armor. Just use a hot needle to create a pit or hole, then glue the handle / staple in place. Much nicer than most of the fragile little things that come in an armor kit.

Keith
dencoarty12
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 08:13 AM UTC
Thanks to all the replys. I'll try some of your ideas. By the way, AFV Club instructs to use Model Cement, but HA! That doesn't even begin to touch the track material. Scott
 _GOTOTOP