_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New Behfehls Panther from Dragon?
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Armorama: 1,018 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 05:17 PM UTC
Hi all
Sorry if this has already been posted, but it's new to me.
http://www.dragon-models.com/d-m-item.asp?pid=DRA6847
Jacob
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 06:55 PM UTC
New to me as well. Wouldn't an early Panther G as depicted in the kit automatically require Zimmerit?
jps
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 06:56 PM UTC
It is the first I have seen of it. There was a CH Behfehls Panther with "Magic Tracks" this does have DS tracks. Not sure if there are any other changes.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 11:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

New to me as well. Wouldn't an early Panther G as depicted in the kit automatically require Zimmerit?

No, the configuration shown was typical of September/October, 1944 production, after Zimmerit was discontinued. Even then, "Late" features, notably the fan tower for the crew heater on the left engine deck, and the "chin" mantlet, were not instantly or universally available at all three factories even after October, 1944.
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No, the configuration shown was typical of September/October, 1944 production, after Zimmerit was discontinued. Even then, "Late" features, notably the fan tower for the crew heater on the left engine deck, and the "chin" mantlet, were not instantly or universally available at all three factories even after October, 1944.

OK, thanks, good to now Dragon for once didn't cut corners. And I wasn't aware production of early Panther Gs continued that long after late versions started appearing. Can you tell me what precisely makes the configuration a September/ October 1944 one?
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 12:03 AM UTC
This is new to me too but it does look great.It will be nice to have a accurate version of this Panther,hopefully...
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

OK, thanks, good to now Dragon for once didn't cut corners. And I wasn't aware production of early Panther Gs continued that long after late versions started appearing. Can you tell me what precisely makes the configuration a September/ October 1944 one?

No Zimmerit, original engine deck configuration, no chin mantlet. The older, round mantlets appeared sporadically until the end of production, even though the improved version was available from October 1944, as was the heater tower. A small test batch of steel wheel Panthers was also built in September, but this was canceled because the steel wheels damaged the track center guides.
I can't tell offhand if the kit has the early or later (larger) "self-cleaning" idlers, but again, the introduction of new parts varied from factory to factory, and older parts sometimes turned up in the warehouse and reappeared on the production line.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 06:47 AM UTC
I'm sure that this is the Cyber Hobby white-box limited edition kit with DS tracks swapped in for that kit's Magic Tracks.

It should thus build up to be a splendid Panther Befehls - as that original CH kit does (at least in my humble opinion!. )

And yes - the pictured configuration would be a post-Sept 1944 kitty w/out zimm. And yes, as others noted, there could well be a mix of later and earlier G versions - following the known German practice of Last In - First Out with parts at assembly plants.

This is, I think, GREAT for those who want one of these on their Panther shelf and who missed out on the CH kit - which became a collector's kit, of course... I'll get one of these to build (with some AM tracks...), and save my CH wb kit for... Uhhhhh. I don't know. Posterity, I suppose! LoL!

Bob
 _GOTOTOP