Hosted by Darren Baker
Query about CVRT Scorpion
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 02:19 AM UTC
Having decided to build a CVRT Scorpion from the Falklands War, I notice that some modellers depict the vehicle with red-tinted periscope lenses ... presumably intended to represent the anti-laser filter (as commonly seen on current AFVs). Is this correct, or am I correct in thinking that the lenses on the early Scorpion (and other vehicles from that era) would have been plain glass?
barny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 02:33 AM UTC
Yes mate plan glass in the early days .
I'm ex RAF Regiment our vehicles had nothing on the lens
Terry
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 04:39 AM UTC
If you're planning to do this properly, be aware that there were quite a few differences between the four Scorps that were sent south and the AFV Club/Revell offering. I started work on a build and accompanying article for the 20th anniversary (er.....) and keep finding more stuff to do to it.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 06:17 PM UTC
Sometimes they are represented by a Green finish because they have small pull down Green shades for the episcopes/periscope on the inside.

The main gunners sight and commanders sight had Black rubber eyepiece inserts.

All of the above designed to stop internal lights from being seen outside at night when in use.

Keith
Kallisti
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 05:02 AM UTC
I converted an AFV Club Scorpion into 23A from 3 Troop, 'B' Sqn, The Blues and Royals from the Falklands conflict a few years back. It needed quite a few alterations fromt he kit, not least the engine deck and the stowage. Trying to find photo references was difficult as there only appears to be a handful of photos of these vehicles. This is what I ended up with

based on this photo:

_GOTOTOP