_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Skif MT-LB & Eastern Exp. BRDM-U
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:56 PM UTC
I've been fancying completing my Skif MT-LB and just purchased a surprisingly nice Eastern Express BRDM-U - anyone completed these kits? If so - what did you think about them overall?

For me, Soviet Armor is somewhat of a departure from what I normally do, but I'm intrigued by these two kits. I think I'll really have fun with the BRDM-U...

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 12:32 AM UTC
I've been semi-impressed with the modern Soviet armor done by the eastern Euorpean countries. I like the Skif kits in general, the T-64b I have looks nice. Leaps ahead of the old Tamiya T-62 or the Esci attempts at the T-72 and T-74. The actual tank wasn't so hot though and was never exported.

As far as the BRDM, the DML kit I built was OK, it was the first DML kit I built. I now "know" how to build those older DML modern Soviet armor kits. Hopefully the EE BRDM is a nicer rendition, is the BRDM-U based on the BRDM-1 or -2 chassis?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 02:36 AM UTC
BRDM-U is based on the -1 chassis. Comparing it to the few photos in Steve Zaloga's book, and some other photos lent to me, the Eastern Express kit appears to be a faithful representation.

The kit's quality is comparable to the Skif MT-LB - a little thick and chunky in places though. These two models remind me of growing up playing with the little green Army Men - and how I wished I had some better vehicles for them to man - they seem appropriately chunky to go right along with them.

There is flashing present, but they cast things like the engine deck louvers open - which is impressive. Ejector pin marks are present, but not in spots that would destroy detail - and are shallow and easy for a novice to remove. The interior is provided, and basic, but can be worked with good references. That's the trick, however, decent shots of a prototypical interior seem to be few and far between. The wheels are vinyl with separate hubs - and really do look nice. They don't seem to suffer the malady of the DML versions with that darned split in them - that's gonna POP when you least desire it to do so. The chain drive for the "belly wheels" is cast wonderfully - some things are cast great in the kit - but the greatness isn't consistent throughout.

Without having the kit in front of me here at work - I recall that the weapon might be better replaced with a more finely-cast version - I didn't have my DML BRDM handy to see if that option would made sense. The decals don't look bad either - and they're a magnitude thinner than Skybow or Tamiya versions. My BRDM-U retailed at $29.95 locally, and that wasn't quite a bargain - I thought something along the lines of $24 would have been appropriate.

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 02:54 AM UTC
This sounds very much like a description of my Arsenal BRDM-1, except for the price. It is nice to see some of these Cold War vehicles in plastic though, so I'm not complaining.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This sounds very much like a description of my Arsenal BRDM-1, except for the price. It is nice to see some of these Cold War vehicles in plastic though, so I'm not complaining.

I was going to ask you about that - I've never seen the Arsenal BRDM-1 - but I suspect the Eastern Express kit is the same, based on other's description of it too. I'm into Cold War vehicles too (ever since I saw and took pics of a Long March Radar Vehicle in Jacques Littlefield's armor collection - HUGE) and these seem like nice kits to have and build. I've never built a DML Cold War subject though. Seems like I'll finish the Skif MT-LB, and Armo BTR-50PK, and the Eastern Express BRDM-U before I finish a DML kit.

I'm still wrestling with the SCUD-B after a year. Man, a lot of work there...

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 06:50 AM UTC
The early DML Soviet kits leave much to be desired, but they cornered the early market by releasing the BRDM-1/2, BMP-1/2, T-72/80, BTR-70/80. Not their best offerings, but they were the only ones putting out the Soviet stuff initially.
Olangi120
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 08:55 AM UTC
Sabot thank you for your input that you gave on the T55 by Trumpeter I was not sure if I should have bought this kit because of some reviews I read ,but this will be my next project I bought the T-55 1958 model,its very detailed from the turret on down including the road wheels decals and one Dska.The last T-55 I built was a decade ago with the Linberg model at that time Linberg and Esci were the only ones with this tank.thanks
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 10:18 AM UTC
Some people hate the Skif T-55A, the Lindberg one was not very good and the Esci one got bad reviews. I don't think it's that bad a kit.
 _GOTOTOP