_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
New Guy help?
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 481 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 04:16 AM UTC
I'm not going to blast you guys with a bunch of asked already questions. But I just picked up my first modern tank the Tamiya T-72 M1. But my question is. When I was in the Marines I got to do some training with the Russian Naval Infantry in Vladivostok. And the had by my anti armor guides they were T-72's. I want to replicate these tanks I trained with. Can anyone be of help as to which version these were or point me in that direction, I also just picked up a mini arm turret. I believe it is a BM?? Turret. Side note though I remember they didn't have armor sides like our Abrams they were Black, I want to say like rubber or heavy plastic.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 05:46 AM UTC
Any Photos to post? There's some AMAZING armor ID guys on here.
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 10:22 AM UTC
I do somewhere. I'm just curious as what model T72 they had so can build it.
GarethM
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 10:50 AM UTC
I guess starting with what year you saw them would help.
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 08:51 PM UTC
The year was 1998 in Vladivostok (Pacific Fleet) I been scouring pictures, I see they had some 55's back in the day. But that's it no markings, TOE, units nothing. I do remember seeing the commander had a blue white stripe or black shirt, with black sides on the tanks. And it had a bird or fish on a white circle on front . But that was awhile ago.
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 10:54 PM UTC
I should've said been scouring thru pictures but cannot find but a couple of Naval Infantry tanks. That is the direction I am looking for help in as where to find photos.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 11:51 PM UTC
Check out this document:
http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/documents/Central-Asian-Military-Events.pdf

You can find out what units were involved, then ID the correct vehicles.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not going to blast you guys with a bunch of asked already questions. But I just picked up my first modern tank the Tamiya T-72 M1. But my question is. When I was in the Marines I got to do some training with the Russian Naval Infantry in Vladivostok. And the had by my anti armor guides they were T-72's. I want to replicate these tanks I trained with. Can anyone be of help as to which version these were or point me in that direction, I also just picked up a mini arm turret. I believe it is a BM?? Turret. Side note though I remember they didn't have armor sides like our Abrams they were Black, I want to say like rubber or heavy plastic.

T-72M1 was an export model, and Tamiya's kit depicts a very small oddball batch of vehicles delivered to the East German Army (NVA), which had an early turret mated with with an uparmored hull glacis. Verlinden offered a backdated hull to do a proper T-72M, and several companies offer later turrets for a T-72M1. The T-72M1 can also pass for a Soviet T-72A.
Alternatively, Trumpeter offers several later T-72B variants, which were used by Soviet and Russian Commonwealth forces.
JmeDubya
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 124 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 07:58 AM UTC
Welcome thundergrunt !

Not sure if the Russian naval infantry has ever upgraded their t-72s but the current version for all fleet independent armor battalions is the T-72B1 with kontact-1 ERA.... One of the russian experts may be able to tell you if there was a previous version in the fleet.

This version has an excellent kit available I. The trumpeter T-72B/B1 #5599, but markings/decals might be tougher.

_GOTOTOP