Hosted by Darren Baker
Which Scorpion Track When?
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 11:38 PM UTC
I've got quite a few of Accurate Armour's CVR(T) vehicles in my stash, as well as a couple of AFV Club Scimitars and an AFV Club Scorpion.

Now AFV Club make "Early" and "Late" CVR(T) workable tracks - can anybody tell me at what point the switch was made from one to the other? Most of the AA kits will be done as Op Granby vehicles (except for the Stormer w Starstreak which a) I'd be pretty sure would be new track and b) might need more than one set anyway because it's longer) and I expect the injection kits will be done as post-80s vehicles (I'm assuming that the Jaguar early Scorpion backdate that one of the kits came with is rather overshadowed by the more recent HKCW set).

Also, since I've never seen a review of these tracks anywhere, can anybody who has assembled a set comment? Some AFV Club tracks have done have been OK (a lot of HKCW-inherited types, for example) but they've also done the nicest "clicky" tracks I've ever assembled - specifically the Big Foot type for the M2/M3/CV90, and the M41 track, both of which combined very solid clicking together with separate track pads, which made it really easy to get rubber track pad on steel track. Are the CVR(T) tracks up to this standard? Anybody?

Thanks in advance for any help people can give.
Kallisti
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 04:58 AM UTC
The tracks changed in the late 80s/early 90s so anything before the first Gulf war would be early type. To be honest, the difference is miniscule!

I've built several with Fruilmodel tracks and these are excellent. Its takes quite a lot of work to assemble, but that can be said for most kits with individual track links! I've never used the AFV Club individual track links but haven't heard much good talked about them.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 05:27 PM UTC
Sad to hear that since I have a set on the way for my Scorpion.

awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 05:44 AM UTC
I'd still be interested to hear how they are - some of AFV Club's "clickable" such as those for the Bradley/AAAV7/CV9030 are amongst the best plastic tracks I've seen, so they *can* do excellent workables. Between my AFV Club CVR(T) series vehicles and the Accurate Armour ones I've got, I'll eventually need eight or nine sets potentially (although AA's included Traxpax Is better than rubber band) but there's no way I can afford to put Fruil tracks on them all, so any comments re the AFV Club clickables is something I'd love to hear.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 05:48 PM UTC
Hopefully mine will arrive soon--the rest of the tank is done and ready for painting. Seems like my e-bay seller decided to wait a few weeks before shipping them out.

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 06:10 PM UTC
My AFV Club tracks arrived yesterday. They are, sadly, probably the worst AM tracks I have come across. That said, they do clean up fairly quickly and should look decent enough when done. Here are the issues I've found with these things:

1) About a quarter to a third of the links have flash that will need to be trimmed. It comes off pretty cleanly with a sharp knife and only took 20-30 minutes to do.
2) There are two EP marks (one on each inside wear pad) which have to be filed off. Unfortunately, this is nearly impossible to do with out losing a fair bit of detail on the wear pads. Good news is that once assembled this will only be visible on a relatively small number of links.
3) Two links on each sprue of 32 is not fully formed--the horns are somewhat truncated. Unfortunately, the set has only just enough links to do the job so it is unavoidable to use these. The good news is that once assembled these are only noticeable if you're really looking for it.
4) To call these 'workable' tracks is generous. The plastic from which they are molded is quite soft so the act of snapping the links together tends to flatten the joint nubs down enough that they often won't hold together when handled. Will basically have to build them up as traditional non-working indies. That's not the end of the world, but it won't make things any easier.

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2017 - 02:41 AM UTC
And another hard lesson learned: Thinking these were going to be workable tracks, I completed my build while I waited for the tracks to arrive. Now it's almost impossible to glue and fit the tracks in such a confined space and the wheels don't want to stay on.

Word to the wise: If you use the AFV Club tracks put the suspension on the hull bottom and then do nothing else until the tracks have been fitted. You'll thank yourself for it.

_GOTOTOP