_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panther G Dragon Kit 6267 options help
Seahawk
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 11:40 PM UTC
Building this kit and after looking at past questions I have these questions about optional parts. I have decided to build tank 434

D5 or D21 - fans
A25 or A37 - tow rings
G4 or G8 drive housing
G12 exhaust shield
G18 or K12 - jack handle?
B20 - Mantlet Sheild
A38 or C32 Grab Handle

Any help would be very appreciated, I have looked and found 1 picture of this particular tank on it's side destroyed (not a good reference)

I have built Tigers in the past and gone to Tiger Info 1 - David is the bomb, but I do not know of such a site for panthers.

Thank you all and Merry Christmas

Jeff
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 11:47 PM UTC
It would help a lot more if you gave the unit the tank was from and the time period?
J
Seahawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 01:30 AM UTC
Sorry,

This - Pz.Rgt.26 Italian Front unit 434 November 1944
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 04:39 AM UTC
G'day Jeff

If you inadvertently use an older part on a newer vehicle, it's not necessarily your fault. On the Panther production line (and others as well), new parts were piled on top of old on the production line. When the supply of newer parts ran out, they just continued working with the older parts rather than hold up production, meaning it is not uncommon to see older parts on later vehicles.

Having said that, my thoughts are as follows:

Fans - not a biggie considering that they are barely visible anyway and the above could well apply.
Tow rings - got lost and replaced all the time (I'm assuming you're talking about shackles).
Drive housing - very visible and probably mounted fairly early in the construction process, so you might well need the right one.
Exhaust shield - thin sheet metal and very easily destroyed (and frequently were). Comment above applies.
Jack handle - ditto.
Mantlet shield - mmm, could be an earlier version. Would need pic to prove or disprove.
Grab handles - not a biggie unless being examined by somebody with a magnifying glass.

I'll have a look through my pile of Panther references and see if I can find any illustrations which may help.

Regards

Rob
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 05:02 AM UTC
Me again

You might like to note that before being called 26 Panzer Regiment, the unit was known as 4 Panzer Regiment.

Sorry, can't find any pics.

Regards

Rob
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 09:49 AM UTC
I posted a list of when the various alternative parts came into use on ML a few years ago. Might be worth running s search on the Axis DG there.
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 03:38 PM UTC
Use the below link to check when what change occured in production:

http://panther1944.de/index.php/en/sdkfz-171-pzkpfwg-panther/technik/technischen-veraenderungen

This site is also perfect for other references/ detailed information...
Seahawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 09:02 PM UTC
@Robert

I did and it came up with a list that covered some of the parts I am asking about but not all,

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies, It is very much appreciated

Jeff
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:00 PM UTC
i like that kit, it has the armored roof. Italeri offers it as well. Dragon sprues Italri PE.

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i like that kit, it has the armored roof. Italeri offers it as well. Dragon sprues Italri PE.

Italeri's kit depicts the same variant, bit it's a Frankenpanzer. It uses Dragon's 1994 upper hull mold originally tooled for their original (and incorrect) Panther F, mated with Italeri's Panther A lower hull, suspension and turret. It's a clever reuse of the molds, but Italeri tends to charge a lot for their kits these days, and a Dragon Panther is probably a better choice. Even the old Shanghai Dragon Panther G, which uses the upgraded Gunze Sangyo molds from the 1990's, is probably preferable..
 _GOTOTOP