_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Kit choice Help
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 481 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:50 PM UTC
Greetings All

New guy here and need some help, I have searched posts and posts and now I come for help as I can't find my answer. I'm new to Russian tanks and armor in general. So I'll get to it. What kit do I need to build a 1/35 T-72 AM.i bought a Tamiya T72 M1. But found out can only build like 2 things from that.So please share some guidance. Thanks in advance.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 02:24 AM UTC
Hi;

The T-72 has been Studided at great length on Armorama, and the different versions as well. As for A kit of the T-72 the Tamiya would be A Good Start, for A Specific vesion its best to research as much info, as you can ! The AM that you refer to, if my memory serves me rite is one of the early versions, & the Ural mite be the one you are looking at. IMHO you should start at JDs on How to Build the T-72 and study the details he talks about & take notes !! A Special project Can & Will be an Expensive Undertaking, so Plan in Advance !!

CHEERS; MIKE.
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:43 AM UTC
Mike

Thanks For the help, I looked there. Just kinda bummed over 200 looks and no one else wants to help, especially with all the help and knowledge out here. So thank you.
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 02:47 PM UTC
By T-72 AM are you talking about the "Monkey" version more commonly known as the T-72M, produced by Czechoslovakia and Poland, basically a downgraded export T-72A?

FWIW the Tamiya kit is based on a rare East German "Ubergangsversion" which is a Polish built T-72M with added armour on the hull front, in other words a T-72M turret on a T-72M1 hull. Note that the turret however is poorly shaped even for an M turret and would really need replaced.

There is no simple way to do a M,or M1 from the box. To do an accurate T-72M1 a resin M1 turret would be needed. To do a T-72M a new hull front (or removal of the armour plate) and a new T-72M turret would be needed. New 6 spoke wheels may also be necessary depending on the version you are doing (the Tamiya only comes with the 8 spoke style)

HTH,
Andy
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 05:52 PM UTC
If however you are looking for a T-72AM "Banan " a T-72A upgraded with Kontakt armour and T-84 engine, as built in Ukraine for export, I'm not sure if that was ever made, or possibly only in prototype form.

HTH
Andy
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:04 PM UTC
Aside from what you are calling a T-72AM, where was it used and do you have a picture? Using those two things, more help can be offered.

From kits you can currently build basically a T-72B and beyond (-BM, T-90's galore, etc...)

T-72 and T-72A, along with the -M and -M1 are harder to build because there is no one kit to make them.

Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:13 PM UTC
Hey Andy

Yes a T-72AM Banan. I went to Ukraine in 2014 as part of a Advisor team to train replacements going to the front and help stand up and organize the UKNG further, being a guardsman it was a good experience compared to Iraq and Afghanistan But then I never really got into the different variants we just gave them basic recognition drills and infantry and counter armor tactics, but the active units had T-64's and some T72's I think they were B models cause the had the Commander plates installed and bricks all down side except like 4 of them didn't. And one unit had the Bulat and 3 T-80, the majority we saw with them were T72's, with the Ukraine guard almost all we saw were T-72's single green color but for sure T-72. I was in Novi P, and Yavoriv, the Polish guys did most of the Actual tank training as I am infantry. But any I was wanting to build one and a BTR-80 they had. That's why I was asking. And read that Ukraine had T-72 AM Banan. And laughed cause wikipedia is a little wrong.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 09:03 PM UTC
Ah, I see. The problem is Ukraine is a bit of a Tank ID mess. There are "official" designations for industry attempts to sell tanks, there are "nick-names" for tanks like them, and there are now rebuilds being done to modernize and/or make usable the large derelict tank stocks in the country.

Without a good picture (or 10!) to go with, and without very specific details looked for/described (did it have a new engine deck, for example) it is hard to say what you saw.

The actual T-72AM Banan package was presented for upgrade to T-72A's by Ukrainian industry back in 1993 (!) that basically upgraded the engine to a diesel powerpack, slightly different ERA, and more Smoke Grenade Launchers. Not sure if any of this is what you saw when you were there.

Best guess is that you were dealing with T-72A's. I can find no photos of a re-engined T-72A in Ukraine. not to say they are not there, but there is nothing to work with to tell you how to get what you want other than conjecture.

Sorry.
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 10:46 PM UTC
Jacques

Thanks for the Guidance, I knew it was a tank mess as we saw everything. Outside of Yavoriv they were using 55's and some kind of upgraded 62 nothing like our. ID Packets. But it was cool to see them with equipment of any sort,as they were so happy and prideful to be helping their country. It made my time there so good. So for my picture above is that a A late or a B?? They did have a Hodge podge of all sorts, but the active guys we trained replacements for had 64's,Bulat,72's and personally saw 3 T80's In 24th Mech.

Also there was one that had a weird style blocks on turret they were shaped like this >> •
Removed by original poster on 12/16/16 - 18:19:44 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 12/16/16 - 18:20:28 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 12/16/16 - 18:24:48 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 12/16/16 - 18:27:07 (GMT).
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 11:27 PM UTC
Well my post got cut off and I can't seem to add the rest.
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 09:30 AM UTC
Jacques

Thanks for the Guidance, I knew it was a tank mess as we saw everything. Outside of Yavoriv they were using 55's and some kind of upgraded 62 nothing like our. ID Packets. But it was cool to see them with equipment of any sort,as they were so happy and prideful to be helping their country. It made my time there so good. So for my picture above is that a A late or a B?? They did have a Hodge podge of all sorts, but the active guys we trained replacements for had 64's,Bulat,72's and personally saw 3 T80's In 24th Mech.

Also there was one that had a weird style blocks on turret they were shaped like this v as if you were looking dead ahead and with a lot of antennas. Anyway sorry drifted off, basically I want to build the tank above in my picture and with the others on my HD. I just need a start point. Do I get a Late A or a B or Mid B. ETC That's where I'm lost
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 07:07 AM UTC
First, I would bet, based on percentages, that you saw modified T-72A's.

Second, the V shaped ERA. If it is two bricks, top and bottom, in a sideways V, that is the old standard way of doing ERA ala 1980's.

If you mean this: then you are looking at Russian T-72B3 tanks "given" to the Donetsk separatists that were then captured by the Ukrainian military.

The more pictures you can show off, the easier it would be to ID. Also, on Facebook, there is a very good page dedicated to equipment used in the Ukraine conflict: Military Equipment Of Conflict In Ukraine
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

First, I would bet, based on percentages, that you saw modified T-72A's.

Second, the V shaped ERA. If it is two bricks, top and bottom, in a sideways V, that is the old standard way of doing ERA ala 1980's.

If you mean this: then you are looking at Russian T-72B3 tanks "given" to the Donetsk separatists that were then captured by the Ukrainian military.

The more pictures you can show off, the easier it would be to ID. Also, on Facebook, there is a very good page dedicated to equipment used in the Ukraine conflict: Military Equipment Of Conflict In Ukraine

Jacques, if the tank of this photo is s T-72B3, shouldn't the Sosna-U thermal imaging system be visible on the turret roof?
The cammo net on the side of the turret doesn't seem to be packed high enough to hide the characteristic thermal sight.
Can it be a T-72B M1990 perhaps?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 06:27 AM UTC

Sosna-U just barely visable just above the Cammo net. Also note T-72BM3 style wind sensor.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sosna-U just barely visable just above the Cammo net. Also note T-72BM3 style wind sensor.

Good point!
My bad
 _GOTOTOP