_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
How to create perfect water?
Rhemz
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 01:08 AM UTC
Good day good people

I'm making a dio, with a broken bridge, but i need to create water... i've water from 'woodland' but my question is: The painting... what colours... do i need to use my airbrush?! I could use some information, please help me!!!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 01:18 AM UTC
What I have read and seen is to actually add the paint to the liquid medium being used. That way you get the translucent properties of water and it doesn't end up being a coat of paint ontop of a puddle of epoxy.

Here are a few links that might shed some extra light on the topic
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=95064&messageid=1020194769
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=78970&messageid=1003225560
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=78970&messageid=971462165
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 05:09 AM UTC
Years ago I did an architectural model with a riverbank in it, and I used clear casting resin poured in layers to simulate water. This was a fast and simple job for a marina, so I just painted the bottom a couple of shades of blue and poured the resin on top. Worked reasonably well. There are also liuid dyes that can be added to resin to tint it, and that is probably the best way to go. Use several different shades of blue and green, and layer them until you have the depth you are looking for. Or mix up some browns, if the water is really muddy.

Greg
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 04:02 AM UTC
Depends on how "deep" you want your water.... if you are just doing a surface gloss, then paint the base, and apply Future Acryllic floor wax. If you want to do "deeper" water, then i suggest four steps:

1) Create a trough or "dug-out area
2) put a few elements (rocks, gas cans, bicycle, etc.) into the bottom
3) pour in a few layers of EZ Water or clear expoxy resin. Let dry completely
4) pain the surface with a thin transparent streaky selections of brown, green, blue, etc.)

Repeat steps three and four several times, until you have the depth and look you want. Rotate colors in the layers and you will get a really nice look. i also use sheets of glass in LARGE area dioramas (like oceans or seas), and then coat them with resin. Again - takes practice but looks wonderfully "wet and deep".

Keith
dencoarty12
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 08:33 AM UTC
Greetings, I've created numerous water features on, dare I say?, Model Railroads. There are many ways to approach the subject depending on several questions. The depth of the water, is the water flowing?, If it is flowing, how fast. Is it a clear stream or a murky pond,etc. The trickiest to create convincingly is a fast flowing stream or river. The easiest is a clear, still lake or pond. I create my water feature as I do the rest of my scenery, with ground cover and details such as limbs, plants on the banks and debris in the water. I prefer a two part epoxy called Envirotex. It is clear, (can be tinted with most any paint) and is nearly odor-free. It takes about 12 to 16 hours to dry, but the lack of noxious fumes is worth it. Remember to mix it exactly 50/50! Deviation will create a sticky mess that never cures. The product can be found in craft stores. The envirotex also must be poured in no more than 1/4" layers. if you want more detail, e-mail me [email protected] and I'll try to answer specific questions for you. Good luck, Scott
SSgtTowers
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 09:51 AM UTC
I made a dio with rangers on dday and I used epoxy with some olive drab acrylic paint for the color of the water. It turned out great and I used a glue hot gun to create choppiness in the water or the bullet splashes. The paint didn't effect the epoxy at all, it set up in the required time.
 _GOTOTOP