_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Grossdeutschland early Tigers
JoeOsborne
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 01:14 AM UTC
Gents,

I would like to build one of the early Tigers received by GD in February 1943 and fought at Kharkov in Feb-Mar 43 in dunkelgrau.

I've done a LOT of research and just wanted to run by this group what I believe is correct with the intent of getting critique or affirmation.

For kits I have both the Tamiya 35216 and the Tamiya 35227. I also have Voyagers Afrika Tiger detail set as well as Eduards early set for Zvedza (for the exhaust shrouds). I also have a metal barrel and the Panzer Art early stowage box (large one with the metal attachment strips on the side).

As these nine were apparently built in January 43 I intend to use as a base the Tamiya 35216, scratchbuild the two cleaning rod setup on the left side of the hull roof. I have the Panzer ART stowage bin as an option as well.

Two questions I cannot resolve is which mantlet, and which of the Feifels would be correct?

For markings.... anyone know of a source? These would be white outline with a large S and smaller numbers.

I feel like I'm close to building one of these (tho there does not seem to be enough clear pictures to pick one tank) and with a little help here I should be able to get rolling.If i can't be precise on one tank, I'd like to get as close as I can.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 01:39 AM UTC
The answers to any and all of your questions, including those you haven't thought of yet, can be found at:

Tiger im Focus

and

Tiger1.info
JoeOsborne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 09:08 AM UTC
Joseph,

Thanks for the links. I have been there already and learned a TON of info. However, I did not find the answer to my questions.

Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 09:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

which mantlet, and which of the Feifels would be correct?

Use the early type Feifel, with the twin cans on top. The simplified version, with the single, oblong top was introduced in March '43.

As for which mantlet, take a look:

Google "Grossdeutschland early Tigers" and you'll get a fair number of images to make a determination.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:16 PM UTC
We don't know many photos of these tanks when they carried their S-numbers; see TIIF.DE for a list of photos of Grossdeutschland Tigers.

The turret;
The mantlet can be either the notched Tiger-P version or an unusual one with a wide thick area;

The turret has the escape hatch. The bin is the wide 1.4m version with 4 latches. It's mounted over to the left to clear the hatch and it literally overlaps the pistol port. I don't know how they deal with the lifting lug. The smoke launchers may or may not be present but their angled brackets always are. There is no loader's periscope and no turret side tracks.

David
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:59 PM UTC
The hull front has the shovel and the driver's episcope holes are open. A single bar for holding spare tracks is normal.

Mudguards are the final production type.

At the back, there are standard exhaust shields (or just the bumps to hold them), the first kind of Feifel filters, the welded frames for mudguards, but no tool is stored at the bottom right of the rear wall. The toolbox is in its frame holder.

The hull roof has all of the S-mine equipment, so the tow cables are in their final layout. The rectangular panel behind the driver's hatch is not present. The gun cleaning rod is in 5 segments I believe (it's hard to see).

David

JoeOsborne
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 01:38 AM UTC
David,

Thank you for your comprehensive help in answering my questions. Very much appreciated.

Do you have any insight as to markings? Or should I just pick any of the S small number combinations?

Thanks again.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 08:36 PM UTC
We don't have enough photos to characterise any one of these Tigers fully. Just pick any number starting 1, 2, 3 or 4 and ending with one of those digits too. Avoid the Staff Tigers.

David
 _GOTOTOP