MENG Gepard corrections
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 03:58 AM UTC
Hey guys !

Working on the weld seams on my Gepard-turret I noticed a slight mistake on the kit.
This is what the weld seams on both sides actually look like:

Hope this helps !
Cheers
Christopher
chnoone
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 02:48 PM UTC
But now I found this photo just adding to my confusion:

TAKOM is like the first pic.
MENG like this one.

So I have to correct myself .... not knowing what and the different details are and why ..... any clues anyone ?

Cheers
Christopher
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:01 PM UTC
My photos (examples from Dresden and Muna Museums) show the straight down weld as in your second photo. Guess there could have been manufacturing differences? Good catch.

Jim

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:26 PM UTC
The famous Leopard 1 trilogy shows the same variants but is not clear as if it is linked to a specific upgrade of the turret or not.

Olivier
mshackleton
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 559 posts
Armorama: 517 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:35 PM UTC
I just had a look at in-service shots I have and there seems to be a fairly even split between the different welds. The shorter style of weld also has the plate with a bolt in the middle at the front of the smoke rail (both sides). I've no idea what this is though.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:54 PM UTC
Maybe the "straight down weld" is the Ausf. vB and the "crooked weld" is the AusF. nB

After all back in the 70s the occassional beer during the lunch break was not too uncommon in germany..
chnoone
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 02:10 AM UTC
Did a little research on this issue and it looks more like the "short" welding with the plate 1.Pic (TAKOM) seems to be the initial production phase of the turret.
The Dutch and Belgian ones look the same and these where produced more or less at the same time as the German Gepards initially.
The MENG kit with the longer weld seam seems to be the result of an "optimization" process during the production .... makes sense from an engineering view point to reduce complex shapes and less welds etc.
To assist my assumption I believe the simplified attachment receiving the "Nebelwurfanlage" eliminating the original "Plate" would be a logical move.
I have not found any info if something/unit/device was originally "hidden" behind the plate which could also be more easily relocated to simplify the production.
Also no info to what time-line/period this change took place.
Would be interesting if any Dutch or Belgian readers would know if they also had this "mix" on their Cheetah's.

Cheers
Christopher
 _GOTOTOP