_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Small Rivets
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 11:16 AM UTC
I've been using the filter contents method for making rivets, but would like to know how to make much smaller rivets, and how to fix them to metal or foil

Paul
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 01:14 AM UTC
Find yourself some old, really fine drill bits Paul, and snap the tip off one. Use this as a punch on aluminium foil backed on to a large pencil eraser. You should be able to make usable rivets of any size you need.

Vinnie
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 292 posts
Armorama: 236 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 01:32 AM UTC
Too afix them, use Future floor polish. Superglue works as well, but you have to be fast.

You also have other options for rivets such as Grandt Line and Galtran.
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 01:48 AM UTC
hi i take it you have read my rivets by the million article it tells you all the methods for glueing them onto foil or metal , i doubt if you can find any rivets smaller than those in the water filter canister , they go down to 1/144 scale . cheers ian
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 03:05 PM UTC
If you're going to be making rows of rivets on foil or thin metal a pounce wheel would be a good tool. This is a tool with a spiked, or, toothed, wheel. As the spikes are evenly spaced, so will be your row of rivets. They come in various sizes, or sometimes, sets. A wheel with a higher number of spikes will make rivets closer together - fewer spikes result in rivets further apart. The 'rivets', will, of course, appear on the reverse side of your piece of metal. Pounce wheels are available from Micro-Mark, and probably well-stocked artist's supply stores.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Armorama: 360 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 04:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pounce wheels are available from Micro-Mark, and probably well-stocked artist's supply stores.

You can also find them in the sewing aisle... or so my wife tells me.
 _GOTOTOP