Hosted by Darren Baker
Modern British Armor Color Schemes
Iron-Fist
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 101 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 12:25 PM UTC
Hi all. I have a RoG 1/72 Challenger and Warrior in my kit stash, and I just realized that I have no idea what to paint them. Would anyone have some colors and schemes used on modern british armor? And the possably the MM Acryl equivalants? Thanks alot guys!
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 01:43 PM UTC
You have 3 schemes to use (depending on the Challenger kit version,)
1: green and black (i use humbrol 75 for the green)
2: Green and Sand (Opfor and Batus)
3: Sand(if you have an uparmoured Challenger)

Unfortunately you need an uparmoured warrior to do one in white(UN)
Concorde and Europa Militaire both do publications on Warrior and challenger as does another company who's name i can't remember(possibly Osprey)

HTH
Pete

Iron-Fist
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 04:52 PM UTC
Thanks for the color info. The Revell instructions are not too clear on the right scheme.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 05:49 PM UTC
Iron-fist,
You're welcome.If memory serves me correctly the box art and one of the colour schemes on the Warrior are in fact BATUS (British Army Training Unit Suffield)canada,this could also be used as an Opfor (Opposing forces) vehicle on exercise either in the UK or Europe.my apologies for not making my first reply clearer.
Pete
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 04:08 AM UTC
Also the British armor I've looked at doesnt look like it follows a set pattern when they apply the Camo patterns to them, unlike the US Army schemes.

greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 04:26 AM UTC
no they dont tend to follow a specific pattern,

the main green colour is overpainted with either sand or black, and the painters dont usuall take too much care! this is especially true with softskins, ive seen 4 tonners with big drips of black down the side!

cheers

joe
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 04:50 AM UTC
got go with joe on that we had them were the paint was applied by the toms using brushes big streak marks all over land rovers are the worse culprits for it espeically the FFR (fitted for Radio) as the acid from the batteries would rot the paint away, also on the wheel arches were the black rubber guards are fitted this all flakes off due to movement and the paint being on too thick. I also used to drive wagons which had never been re-painted and were in constant use daily I think the dirt held them together they were extremelly weathered for a modern soft skin and were almost back to bare metal on the front of the box body fitted to the back. I can put uo a picture of one which wasnt as heavy worn down if you like BTW I can remember driving down as a courier from Hereford to Dusseldorf on a late shift the weather was bad and had freezing fog by the time we got back the front of the cab had icicles on the front and hanging off the rear view mirrors incidently this wagon was the only one to serve in the army as far as I know it used to have to go to a civi dealer to be serviced
and had all the civi fittings roof spoiler,electric windows sunroof and pumatic seats wagon was just sprayed green and given a MOD reg plate
Iron-Fist
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 02:12 PM UTC
Thanks for all the help. What kind of green do I need to use? Do you have what the green might be in Model Master Acryl colors?
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:32 PM UTC
tamiya x 58 is a close match so try take a paint conversion from that
 _GOTOTOP