_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Adding weight to armor
redaye
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 01:41 PM UTC
Hey there guys,
I just wanted to share a tip with you. Alot of the armor models do not come with interiors. The plastic kits are also pretty light as well. What i had started doing is making a well inside of the vehicle. I build up the sides abit and plug all holes with sheet styrene. I then mix up some casting resin and pour it in. It adds some nice weight to the model, and harder for fluffy the cat or the dusting spouse to easily move around.
ambrose82
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 01:56 PM UTC
Another method for weighing down models is to glue pieces of lead or other metal fragments inside the hulls in areas where the vehicle would carry its weight.

jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 02:06 PM UTC
I do something rather similar. Either mash some lead type fishing weights (do this with a hammer) and cover with a bit of epoxy to keep from moving, or cut about 1" (or so) off the top of a plastic cup, glue the top part (due to the larger diameter, I suppose plasticard would work too in box or circle form) into the bottom of the hull and fill with epoxy and some BBs (for added weight). However I have found the mashed lead fishing weights and 10 min. epoxy work best. Makes the tank snuggle down on the tracks!
melon
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2004 - 02:15 AM UTC
You can put even more money into you newly finished models, I have been known to take pennies and roll them up and cover with tape! It takes about .50 worth of pennies for an average M1A1. Most people have lots of extra pennies laying around, relatively cheap, I would think it would be cheaper than lead shot, BB's or fishing lures, but I really dont know.
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2004 - 02:26 AM UTC
Melon,

This could be an even better idea than a piggy bank hehehe #:-)

Armoured money boxes You could even stash larger amounts away, just think, your credit cards are maxed out, your bank account nearly on zero and the next day you come home with that new release you've been waiting for.
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2004 - 02:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Either mash some lead type fishing weights (do this with a hammer) and cover with a bit of epoxy to keep from moving

If you need to get weight into a smaller area, you can easily melt and recast lead into whatever shape you need. Just make a mold out of regular household aluminum foil (several layers thick, for strength), put pieces of lead shot/sinkers into it, hold the now-filled mold over a gas stove's burner (with pliers, of course). The lead will melt in less than a minute. Let it cool for a few seconds, then run it under the cold water tap. Make sure it's cool, then peel the aluminum foil mold away. Presto, weight in whatever shape you need.

DISCLAIMER: The poster in no way warrants the safety of the above-described method. Working with molten metals is inherrently dangerous, and anyone attempting the above-described action assumes all risks and liabilities.
melon
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2004 - 02:42 AM UTC
Cromwell,
The only bad thing, as with all piggy banks, you may have to smash it to get the money back!!
I may think twice about destroying an investment of time and money for only .50!
But when you need a new jar of paint, you NEED a new jar of paint! Looks like the ol sherman is going to get some battle damage
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2004 - 03:01 AM UTC
Hi. What I've been doing lately is added cut pieces of the kit's sprue inside the body of said AFV. I have also been adding a 2" machine screw w/nut in order to fix the model to a wood base so I won't be so apt to be knocking loose, or off, certain small parts as I detail paint and weather the model in the later stages of building. After using CA to attach the nut to the inside I go ahead and 'build' a reinforced plastic 'fort' around the nut and then just go ahead and cut up a lot of the rest of the spure to add inside as well. Now this doesn't add a lot of 'weight' to the inside, but it is a way of getting rid of some of this stuff and also gives the vehicle just a tad bit of 'weight' so it doesn't feel so much like a model when I pick it up.

Take care, Sgirty
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2004 - 09:43 AM UTC
I too have tried the penny tactic. It's cheap and easy, BUT....make sure that they are secured VERY well. There nothing worse than having a model 'sound' like a piggy bank too. Plus they can cause damage from the inside if they're knocking around alot...I actually had a penny poking outta one of my aircraft wings.
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2004 - 09:44 AM UTC
I too have tried the penny tactic. It's cheap and easy, BUT....make sure that they are secured VERY well. There nothing worse than having a model 'sound' like a piggy bank too. Plus they can cause damage from the inside if they're knocking around alot...I actually had a penny poking outta one of my aircraft wings.
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2004 - 09:45 AM UTC
OOPS!!! My fault. didn't mean to post it twice...I got alittle trigger happy. Sorry!
 _GOTOTOP