_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Andreas W build blog for Takoms SS-100 / link
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 11:59 PM UTC
Andreas Wachtler has published an unfinished build/review blog over at TrackLink.
http://www.track-link.com/forums/site_blogs/29952
He wasn't too happy with it, rather the opposite ....
With the provided information it should be possible to make something nice out of it, depending on how sensitive (rivet counting) you are.

/ Robin
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 06:03 AM UTC
I'm surprised at the review-- I've got the kit, and it has some simplifications for sure, but when it comes to SS100s in 1/35 scale--it's still the best one out there, and the price is not to bad either. When you consider the effort that model manufacturers put into tracked thingees, it's a sad commentary they can't do the same for softskins. I don't think its a throw-away though, with some work it could look very nice, especially towing a Vidalwagen or a Miellerwagen. Ive seen a lot worse for higher price points. My only real gripe with the kit (besides tires) is the side and hood panels on the engine-- which could have been done separately.
VR, Russ
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 06:34 AM UTC
I don't mind basic, if the essentials are there and proportions and shapes are right, but reading the thread over on TL I must say this kit looks clunky and toylike. I thought I would get one but not anymore.

Cheers,

Christophe
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 07:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't mind basic, if the essentials are there and proportions and shapes are right, but reading the thread over on TL I must say this kit looks clunky and toylike. I thought I would get one but not anymore.

Cheers,

Christophe

Well the real thing was clunky too-- In person the kit is not any worse than an early Tamyia offering, and a lot better than early Trumpeter or Dragon stuff. I'd say it's on a par with an Italeri or Revell kit. So for about $34 USD, it sure beats the expensive resin kit. The photographs don't really do the kit justice in the review-- the details look a lot better in the kit in person-- the tires in my kit look a lot better too--its just they don't seem to have the right tread pattern and lettering. Since it's the only SS100 in plastic, I'd say if you were an experienced modeller, you could make a gem out of it-- I'm not saying it wouldn't take some work-- it's a good base though for super-detailing. I suspect now that Takom is releasing it with the Miellerwagen, an aftermarket set won't be far down the road.
 _GOTOTOP