Building Rye Field's M1A1 Abrams
sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 02:40 PM UTC
Hi all,

With my 1/16 scale Jagdtiger parked temporarily, I thought i'd start on the Rye Field Models M1A1 Abrams. I'll be building this one as an Australian M1A1SA.

The kit itself is very nice, and assembles very quickly and well. It is sold as an M1A1/M1A2, so you get a lot in the box, as well as a quite nice interior. Having some A2 parts means that it has some parts for our M1A1SA. This includes tracks with open guide horns, Blue Force Tracker, inf/tank telephone, bustle rack extension, thermal camera for the commanders RWS. Ive added a number of things to get it up to date as one of our Abrams. These are:
- fridge in turret stowage basket (from Arms Corps Models)
- power point for fridge (from Arms Corps Models)
- umbrella mount on turret top (from Arms Corps Models)
- spare wheel bracket on turret top (seen on Marine A1's and Army A2s too)
- spare track bracket and brush guard on turret sides
- power conduit protector bracket for commanders RWS thermal
- QCB handle on the 50 cal (from Arms Corps Models)
- filled 2 indents on engine deck plate for M1A1 specific deck

Heres the photos. Obviously there are gaps as I've not glued the turret or hull parts together yet. Am currently working on stowage and crew.

Sam
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 05:43 PM UTC
Sam, this kit, and your build of it look really nice. I am most interested in that interior. Overall it looks to build into a first class Abrams. I really like the small, scratch-built details which make this into the unique, Australian version. I am still torn about which Abrams to buy, MENG, RFM or Academy. I might have to buy more than one and build a Frankentank. I want to start with an Army M1A2 SEP TUSK II variant from Iraq and then maybe a USMC tank from A'stan. You have inspired me to move an Abrams higher on my build list and buy some plastic! Thank you for sharing your build photos.

Regards,

Eric
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 07:49 PM UTC
This looks very nice. The interior looks awesome. I too have this kit and may have to start it soon as well. Great job so far.
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 08:20 PM UTC
Sam I owe you an apology , I'm afraid I wasn't to nice to you in the Jagdtiger build that I have going on now. I to have this kit in the stash and have been wondering how the fit is and how accurate it is.
Regards.
Donald
tankerken6011
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 08:28 PM UTC
Awesome looking! The interior looks great. I too have one of these kits (ok, 3 of them) as you have shown they have a lot of potential for mods and other builds.
Ken.
 _GOTOTOP