_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
trumpeter t-72
randypandy831
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 02:14 AM UTC
Looking to do a T-72 at some point and eye balling the meng t-72 kit or trumpeter kit but i know it comes down to what variant I want to model. seeing that trumpeter has a T-72B Mod 1990, some folks are saying it's a B3 but didn't the B3 come around in the 21st century? would the Mod 1990 be more in the lines of a T-72BM?

hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 02:45 AM UTC
Trumpeter T-72B M1990 is NOT a B3.
The B3 is easily distinguished by the Sosna-U gunner's sight over the roof.
If you do a google search for both versions, you will see the main differences between them. Plenty of photos out there.
You can also use the search engine here in Armorama to see previous topics about Trumpeter's kit. And yes, it is a like a BM.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:27 AM UTC
The Trumpeter T-72B mod 1990 kit is a good kit OOB.

Some people say it is a T-72BA

Other people say it is the T-72BM right before the T-72 line was renamed T-90.

I hold more with the second group.

The MENG kit, which is a T-72B3, is also a good kit.
aleluya
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 08:56 PM UTC
here is the thing:
officially the T-72B with Kontakt-5 armor can be regard as T-72B w/Kontakt-5.(T-72BA w/K1 or K5 is another variant,same shape. same armor..but has cross wind sensor, however some standard B also has wind sensor,doesnt make too much difference from the exterior) yes..no bm...no bv....as T-72BM renamed as T-90? it has a lot diffrents inside of the turret. especially the Thermal sight. UVZ name for T-90? Obj188...
1. you can regard Trumpeter 05564 T-72B.mod1990(western name) or T-72B w/kontakt-5 T-72BA w/Kontakt-5 if you add the cross-wind sensor on the turret. so ....if this is what you want...go with this. you may think the PE bolts are pain in the ass but it gives you better detail.
2. T-72B3 has the same shape as T-72Bmod.1990, but the B3 turret removed the anti radiation coat on the top of it and use new thermal sight. it also removed the IR search light because thermal sight doesnt need it...and..one more pair of K5 ERA.
3. Both meng and trumpeter has same product. meng on sale. Trumpeter one has B3 and B3M incoming.. I give my cents on Trumpeter one as I think it gives you better detail and accuracy on T-72 series.
so...you call..
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 11:12 PM UTC
Alex - Here in the USA in the 1990's the T-72B MOD1990 was known as the T-72BM. It was made clear(er) years later than this was incorrect (it was not an official designation) but the name has stuck AND it happened that in this time frame, and post Desert Storm, that what was being noted and called the T-72BM by NATO was then OFFICIALLY renamed T-90.
UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 08:03 AM UTC
I would recommend you to wait for a Meng T-72B series, Meng's anti-radiation layer's texture is astonishing, and the turret shape is more correct then the trumpeters (though you won't notice the different after mounting those ERA blocks)

Trumpy skipped many detailed such like handle on the turret rear storage and cable on the hull front lights, but all in all, trumpy T-72B 1990 is still a great looking kit OOB,sadly Meng has none in Cold war ERA soviet T-72Bs yet (I prefer soviet tanks, not post-cold war variants)

It's all just my personal opinions
aleluya
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would recommend you to wait for a Meng T-72B series, Meng's anti-radiation layer's texture is astonishing, and the turret shape is more correct then the trumpeters (though you won't notice the different after mounting those ERA blocks)

Trumpy skipped many detailed such like handle on the turret rear storage and cable on the hull front lights, but all in all, trumpy T-72B 1990 is still a great looking kit OOB,sadly Meng has none in Cold war ERA soviet T-72Bs yet (I prefer soviet tanks, not post-cold war variants)

It's all just my personal opinions

If he wants B3/B3M....there will no anti-radiation layer on the top of turret(if you notice)....Besides....Meng B3 turret has other more serious problem.....too short than original height which makes the k5 ERA impossible to show the correct angle.....
UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If he wants B3/B3M....there will no anti-radiation layer on the top of turret(if you notice)....Besides....Meng B3 turret has other more serious problem.....too short than original height which makes the k5 ERA impossible to show the correct angle.....

B3 doesn't have anti-radiation layer, I knew that, but really? Meng's turret has shape flaw? Awwwwwch....
UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 07:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

please give me the site for this review, I really want to know more about it...... I spent a while to find out the about the Meng's flaw in turret.
UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 08:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

didn't find anyone mention about Meng's turrets shape flaw in Jumbo Model Spotlight, probably your own guess
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:00 PM UTC
I am combing through the Russian forums, but I haven't managed to find the mentioned differences in size.
I will build up the Meng t72B3 turret during the weekend and compare it to a Trump T72B and a Miniarm T72 B1989, just to see what's the deal.
It seems Meng got the gun mantlet canvas width better than Miniarm.
Their t90 turret seems to be 1-2 mm shorter than Miniarm.
These Russian modellers are amazing, I really admire how they are enforcing accuracy.

Here is a neat little thread:
http://panzer35.ru/forum/45-15686-1
UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am combing through the Russian forums, but I haven't managed to find the mentioned differences in size.
I will build up the Meng t72B3 turret during the weekend and compare it to a Trump T72B and a Miniarm T72 B1989, just to see what's the deal.
It seems Meng got the gun mantlet canvas width better than Miniarm.
Their t90 turret seems to be 1-2 mm shorter than Miniarm.
These Russian modellers are amazing, I really admire how they are enforcing accuracy.

Here is a neat little thread:
http://panzer35.ru/forum/45-15686-1

Thank you brother! And a very pro-modelling site you shared

PS: the meng's gun mantle's texture is indeed superior by a large margin
 _GOTOTOP