Hosted by Darren Baker
compatability with Meng Leopard2A7
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 05:40 PM UTC
I would like to know which Leopard 2 lower hull is more compatable with Meng's Leopard 2A7 upper hull Tamiya or Hobby Boss i want to simplify the build on my Meng Leopard 2A7 and eliminate the multi piece tracks and movable suspension
mshackleton
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 559 posts
Armorama: 517 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 06:00 PM UTC
If you don't want moveable suspension, simply glue it all in place. Trying to match hulls from a different manufacturer creates huge amounts of work. Crazy idea.

As for tracks you will have to find a vinyl substitute (for example from Tamiya) though Bronco do tracks that are incredibly simple to build. The Meng ones as well. http://leopardclub.ca/reviews/Bronco/Leo_2_Tracks/

This is from my review of the Meng 2A7: Meng have treated the tracks in a similar way to the Leopard 1 tracks (SPS-016) except each link is only made from three parts instead of the Leo 1's five parts. In fact, they are very similar to Bronco's tracks, but the pads are more in scale and they have more finesse. There are inside and outside faces on the end connectors and these are noted in the instructions - so make sure you build them the correct way round for left and right tracks. A jig is included to help with the build up and Meng say that glue is not necessary. I have press-fitted some links together and can confirm that this is true. They should not take too long to build either - so don't be put off by individual links. If you read my Leo 1 track review you will see that they do not like white spirit/oils. The same is going to apply to these Leo 2 tracks, so use water-based washes for weathering.

You also do not have to build the full run as the top run is hidden by the skirts.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 07:04 PM UTC
Hi Nick,
I'll trade two sets of Tamiya glueable Leo 2 tracks for your set of Meng multi-piece.
I'm in Sweden so if you find another trade locally it may be cheaper when it comes to postage
/ Robin
Ironclaw
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 07:28 PM UTC
Coming from a new guy who is just finishing the Meng 2A7 I had no problem with the lower hull/suspension and it went together well and quickly.
The tracks were quite a bit of work but built up nice once I developed a system for assembly.
One note of caution though is that there was quite a bit of flash that needed attention to get the pieces to seat correctly.
I like the way it turned out using the original parts.
rmadfire1
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 08:54 PM UTC
Solution: just build a Tamiya leopard. The meng tracks are Not difficult to build at all. I knocked mine out in just a few hours, and are WAY better the tamiya tracks.
Dj
 _GOTOTOP