Hosted by Darren Baker
Meng AUF 1 differences TS-004 vs TS024
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 05:28 AM UTC
I am thinking about building a French AUF 1 Howitzer. What is the difference between the two Meng French AUF 1 Howitzer kits (TS004 and TS024)? I see TS024 has UN markings, what else is different between them?
The_musings_of_NBNoG
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 516 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 06:47 AM UTC
after a quick look I found:

Main difference ...
TS-004 has Interior and simple snap tracks

TS-024 ha NO interior but workable Tracks!

setp 7 part N25 pick
and part N37 track?
step 8 for air filter is not on U.N. version
again pick missing on u.n. step 9
U.N. step 11 has external telephone different than phone in TS-004 step 14
UN step 14 different light holders
UN tool box covered w fire extingisher
UN tow cable in different place

I'm feeling that Meng makes 2 versions
each with different "extras"..
meaning; to get the best of meng's product you have to by two.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 12:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am thinking about building a French AUF 1 Howitzer. What is the difference between the two Meng French AUF 1 Howitzer kits (TS004 and TS024)? I see TS024 has UN markings, what else is different between them?

Gino,
to put it simple, the number of differences is quite large as both vehicles do not share the same hull.

The 3-tone one TS-004 is an early to mi-life version while the UN one is the late (and current) type based on the AMX 30 B2 hull with a different front glacis, different engine deck, modified rear underside, different rear plate.
The different tracks on the kits are not a characteristic as the early type had been fitted with them at the end of their service life.
Turrets are similar if not identical in the kits. I mean that Meng provide in the early kit all you need to build a late version. In fact, they even have been confused about the versions (inside and outside) and if you stick to the instructions you will get a "fictitious" model.
The late model has a raiser for the turret which is only present in the UN kit.

Both models are great in details and easy to build.

Olivier
stephane
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 03:30 PM UTC
Hi
Meng or Trumpeter kits have both some problems. The biggest for Meng is the size of its turrets but most of modeller will not care about a few mm.
The second Meng kit is the more accurate but rivets counters will certainly use Trumpeter turret on Meng hull+ parts.
Notice that the Auf1 used in Bosnia were intermediate ones with late tracks (no kits could be used from the box).
Here a link in french but with photos of excellent research done by a french modeller:
http://france135.positifforum.com/t1055-amx-30-auf1-french-self-propelled-gun-meng-1-35-ref-ts-004-plastique-injecte-et-photodecoupe-revue-en-4-partie-1ere-partie
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 03:42 PM UTC
The link provded by Stéphane is excellent provided you understand a bit of French

Stay away from the Hobby Boss kit. The hull is a mix of AMX 30 and 30B2 features and can't be built OOTB into an accurate hull. The turret is slightly better but you'll need to scratchbuild the M2 HMG ring mount as the kit one is totally wrong.

Olivier
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 05:41 PM UTC
Thanks for the answers. The biggie for me is the really nice (looking anyways) interior. I am not too concerned with accuracy and the minor details on it. Looks like the TS004 kit it is then.
 _GOTOTOP