_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
A heads up on a real bad kit
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:24 AM UTC
Hi guys

I just wanted to drop a line as a heads up on a real bad Kit. It is the older Tamiya's British 6 pdr anti-tank gun. I knew going into this kit that some of the older kits are not up to todays standards. That was ok. I needed a 6 pdr for a dio, and this was the only one I could find. But man is this kit a problem child. Major gaps, sink holes that look more like fox holes, and a gun shield that is at least three times as thick as it should be. I just wanted to let you guys know, and to ask if anyone else has had this kind of trouble if so what if anything did you do about.

Wolfsix
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:39 AM UTC
I just built this kit to be towed behind my Bren Carrier. Although I was not really interested in the superdetailing I did not notice the problems you mentioned (except the thickness of the shield) that were any worse than normal. Just the usually minor putty and sanding. I also did not have very high expectations of this kit since it is nearly 20 years old.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:39 AM UTC
I've got that kit but I haven't built it yet. I know it has some problems with accuracy as well. I wanted to make a US 57mm out of it. I understand it needs larger tires and a totally different barrel to do that.
 _GOTOTOP