_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Meng vs Takom King Tiger
Halps_123
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 07:10 PM UTC
I am wanting to buy either the Takom or Meng King Tiger with interior. Is anyone aware of any posts as such that the compare the two kits? Or able to provide any insights or comparisons of the two kits? Finding it tough to decide at this point!

Thanks!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 08:32 PM UTC
I don't believe that the Meng has been released.I saw just 1 video review on youtube.
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 08:36 PM UTC
We haven't seen Meng interior as of yet, nor have we seen a direct comparison between the two brands'offerings. Most of those who ordered Meng kits have them on the way to their homes. How accurate OOB do you want it to be? Do you want it to be with or without zimmerit? Do you have any budget limitations?
Here is a link to a very comprehensive blog on one of the Takom boxings:
http://www.track-link.com/forums/site_blogs/29816/flat
It has some comparisons.
And here are a couple of Meng kit assemblies:
http://www.moxing.net/2016/1223/7655.html
http://www.moxingfans.com/m/view.php?aid=3058
They provide some comparisons too...
HTH,
Paul
Halps_123
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 05:15 AM UTC
Thanks Paul! I'm a bit out of the loop with all the news, so that's very helpful. Those links were great thanks.

I would prefer a Porsche turret as I already have a Henschel version.. but I am really liking the Meng offering at this point.. just have to wait until the Meng is available for a side by side comparison. Am I wrong in saying that I heard Meng might be releasing a Porsche version down the track?

I am curious to see the Meng interior as they had help from the tank museum and also exclusive access to real King Tiger throughout the design process, one would assume the interior would be pretty accurate.. but then again you never know

davejr
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 06:34 AM UTC
Andys hobby headquarters in YouTube did a complete build on video of the takom kit plus has many more videos of builds check him out .
sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 08:20 AM UTC
HI all,

Ive built both, Takom's is painted and im about to start painting the Meng kit. I dont have Mengs' interior yet, i'll build another King Tiger and add the interior when it becomes available. I have built Takoms' interior, and its for the most part quite good. Its a direct copy of the Trumpeter kit in 1/16 scale, with some of the errors rectified (and some not).

MENG:

TAKOM:

Both kits have their good and bad point, neither is perfect, with a lot of areas to improve if one was so inclined. I build these completely out of box as a comparison.

Ive got a group going on Facebook where people can share their experiences and get support etc..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/321379451585567/

Sam
Halps_123
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hi Sam,

Superb photos! Both kits look awesome all built up.. something about that red styrene makes me fuzzy inside!

I guess we will have to wait for the Meng interior before we can make a really good comparison, but as you said both equally have their negatives and positives.

Cheers for the link the Facebook group, I've just gone over and sent a join request.

James
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 - 12:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ive got a group going on Facebook where people can share their experiences and get support etc..

Sam

The ideal place for sharing experiences on building these kits and getting support are surely this forum?

sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:21 PM UTC
No not necessarily. Facebook is a far more visual medium and allows for a more socially interactive experience by its very nature. Sure, there are some folks who don't like Facebook, but there are more in the modelling community that don't like Armorama!

Sam
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sam

The ideal place for sharing experiences on building these kits and getting support are surely this forum?

The problem with facebook for this sort of thing is that the topic will quickly disappear at the bottom as more topics are added. Scrolling through page after page of posts and newer topics to get to an older topic is annoying and is useless for build ups and support. Can you imagine how many pages of stuff you have to scroll through to get to some of these long term builds? Builds that span weeks, months or even years would never be found. On a properly set up forum subjects are sorted and indexed so you can quickly find them. Even older post can be found with little trouble. The best place for this type of thing is a forum setup like Kitmaker Network.
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 368 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sam

The problem with facebook for this sort of thing is that the topic will quickly disappear at the bottom as more topics are added. Scrolling through page after page of posts and newer topics to get to an older topic is annoying and is useless for build ups and support. Can you imagine how many pages of stuff you have to scroll through to get to some of these long term builds? Builds that span weeks, months or even years would never be found. On a properly set up forum subjects are sorted and indexed so you can quickly find them. Even older post can be found with little trouble. The best place for this type of thing is a forum setup like Kitmaker Network.

+1

Facebook is an excellent medium for communication the here and now, with the past quickly dumped behind and very difficult to impossible to find.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 12:40 PM UTC
I wish I'd known about the Facebook page before I started building the DML King Tiger. It might have prepared me for all the nonsense going on with the kit. That Takom looks amazing with the full interior. I always think it's a shame when a modeller goes to all that trouble doing the inside then hides it all by putting the hull top and turret on.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 08:53 PM UTC
I agree with the facebook assessment. Google+ sites have the same problem. It gets bad if someone comments on an old post that you then have to start scrolling to find, and it seems anything past a certain point vanishes, which makes build logs impossible or even posting tips/references.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 - 07:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wish I'd known about the Facebook page before I started building the DML King Tiger. It might have prepared me for all the nonsense going on with the kit. That Takom looks amazing with the full interior. I always think it's a shame when a modeller goes to all that trouble doing the inside then hides it all by putting the hull top and turret on.

erichvon: Could you please tell me exactly where you saw postings on FaceBook about the Dragon King Tiger build and problems with it? I have the Dragon 6302 King Tiger with Porsche Turret, and have gotten a TON of aftermarket stuff (Friul tracks, several Voyager photo etch sets for fenders and other parts) and I planned to make this a completely super detailed model. I have the Henschel turreted version (Dragon 6303, I think) that is about 50% complete, and can't say I've run into any difficulties with that kit, other than a HUGE stupid mistake of my own making [glued the commander's cupola on backwards]). I'd love to see any comments that discuss kit problems or accuracy issues with the Dragon kits. I bought both of these long before the Takom or Meng King Tigers were even a gleam in anyone's eye...
canuck63
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 - 07:32 PM UTC
Here Jimmy:
http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=127322
HTH
Manu
 _GOTOTOP