_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Panda Hobby 1/35 Kurganet-25 BTR Object 693
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 02:25 AM UTC
Panda Hobby PH35024 Kurganets-25 Object 693

Shown off for the first time in public in May 2015 at the Russian May Day parade, the Kurganmashzavod Kurganets-25 represents the next generation Armored Personnel Carrier/Infantry Fighting Vehicle (APC/IFV) that will replace the MT-LB Family and BMP-2/BMP-3 in Russian Mechanized Infantry Battalions. The Kurganets-25 family so far has two different variants, the Object 693, which is the APC version armed with a 12.7mm Kord Machine gun in an unmanned turret, and the Object 695, which is the Infantry Fighting Vehicle variant, armed with the Bumerang-BM unmanned turret, which is armed with the 2A42 30mm Auto Cannon and 4 Kornet-EM AGTMs. This turret is the same one found on the T-15 Armata Heavy IFV and the Bumerang APC. Both are equipped with extensive defensive protection systems, including both Active and Passive Anti-tank missile/rocket defenses.

This was provided to me via Armorama for this build blog.

SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 02:28 AM UTC
Some shots of the sprues in the box. The plastic is very similar to what Tamiya uses. Overall the detail is very good with no flash

pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 03:05 AM UTC
Scott, I'm glad your doing this build as I have been pondering getting this kit, but wanted to first see someone review it as Panda does not have the best reputation around buildable kits. I hope that Panda does another kit with the Bumerang turret as that's the one I really want opposed to the MG armed one.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 06:03 PM UTC
Still have a couple other projects I need to wrap up before I can get started in earnest with this. I did some testing of the track over the weekend, since I've heard of fit issues with Panda kits in this area. Also they give you three different parts, which can add headaches during construction. Thankfully my fears about fit problems where unfounded and the parts break down is very sensible. Its broken down into a track shoe, center guide tooth and a track pad. They snap together (outside the track pad) with zero effort. The only "issue" is the sprue attachment points might need some additional clean-up as you can see in the photos.

I'll wind up removing all the parts of the track and segregating them into a small containers for assembly. I'll be working on them a little at a time as the build progresses so I don't get burnt out with the build.

Not the best of photos, since they where taken with my iPhone and not my DSLR

Keep your eyes peeled for the next segment!

pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 08:00 PM UTC
They do look messy due to the attachment points, sigh. Thanks for the update.
bramah4
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 02:04 AM UTC
Jeezuuz thanks for posting ...it looks great. I cant wait to get this kit and its soon to be released variables. Panda appears to have nailed the new Russian armour releases.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 03:29 AM UTC
Holy crap its March 5 already?

Anyways, I actually had the turret completely together back on February 5th, but the past couple weekends have gotten away from me from other projects, model and house related and I forgot/didn't have time to post the photos.

With that said, lets get this party started.

Here is a photo of the kit's Kord MG. Mine was bent slightly due to the position of it on the sprue (the end of it to slide mold the opening). you can also see the somewhat heavy mold lines on the jammers on the turret.

Worst part about this kit is the ejector pin marks on it. Thankfully they are on the inside, so it doesn't take much, but the kit has them all other the place!

The sight door has an odd build up on the mold..it was easy to deal with.

Overall Turret shots:

Some construction notes:

Part E17 (MG front cover)should be cut first at the narrowest part so it doesn't split when removed from the sprue.

Parts E18/19 need the ejector pins removed to be assembled properly.

Biggest problem with the kit so far...the lower PE mounts PE16,17,10,19 are reversed. If you follow the directions, you'll install the bolt detail to the inside, instead of the outside when you bend it. Basically swap the sides 17 and 19 and 16 and 10 are supposed to be mounted to.

Overall I'm pleased with the kit. its actually going together alot easier and with no drama like I've heard happen with other Panda Hobby Kits. I have the hull started and if I can get a few hours dedicated to it (working on my AMPS project now), I can get it knocked out minus the tracks.

pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 07:48 PM UTC
Glad to hear that there are only minor issues and the turret looks very nice.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 11:38 PM UTC
Despite the actual vehicle is ugly, the kit is nice. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Olivier
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 12:31 AM UTC
Hi;

"OH COME ON OLIVIER"----You Have to Admit, its Better Looking than the EBRs ???

CHEERS; MIKE.
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 03:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Holy crap its March 5 already?

Anyways, I actually had the turret completely together back on February 5th, but the past couple weekends have gotten away from me from other projects, model and house related and I forgot/didn't have time to post the photos.

With that said, lets get this party started.

Here is a photo of the kit's Kord MG. Mine was bent slightly due to the position of it on the sprue (the end of it to slide mold the opening). you can also see the somewhat heavy mold lines on the jammers on the turret.

Worst part about this kit is the ejector pin marks on it. Thankfully they are on the inside, so it doesn't take much, but the kit has them all other the place!

The sight door has an odd build up on the mold..it was easy to deal with.

Overall Turret shots:

Some construction notes:

Part E17 (MG front cover)should be cut first at the narrowest part so it doesn't split when removed from the sprue.

Parts E18/19 need the ejector pins removed to be assembled properly.

Biggest problem with the kit so far...the lower PE mounts PE16,17,10,19 are reversed. If you follow the directions, you'll install the bolt detail to the inside, instead of the outside when you bend it. Basically swap the sides 17 and 19 and 16 and 10 are supposed to be mounted to.

Overall I'm pleased with the kit. its actually going together alot easier and with no drama like I've heard happen with other Panda Hobby Kits. I have the hull started and if I can get a few hours dedicated to it (working on my AMPS project now), I can get it knocked out minus the tracks.

Yup, the etch for the turret has the numbers reversed, took me a while to work it out. Note that the turret is missing some bolt and stiffener detail on it's left side:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Tf43o8im4Hs/VYJ46xgnT5I/AAAAAAAAMg8/1aYR8LWOxPU/s1600/DSC01678.jpg

http://thaimilitaryandasianregion.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/kurganets25btr_closeup725.jpg

Also the arms for deploying the swim vane don't look as they would work mechanically-wise but they are hidden behind the side-armour anyway. Also the side-armour is missing many of the small rivets along it's top edge and on the front armour block, also the joint between the seperate blocks should continue onto the part that mounts them to vehicle side

The tracks when clicked together, rubber blocks added and painted look fine but they are time consuming to build.

There's a lot of really useful pics here:

http://www.vitalykuzmin.net/keyword/2016;victory%20day%20parade;kurganets/

HTH
Andy
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 03:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You Have to Admit, its Better Looking than the EBRs ???

Nope Mike, but that doesn't mean that I find the EBR sexy either

Olivier
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 10:07 PM UTC
I've been completely slacking with build...partly because its a victim of its own success...the build went pretty easy outside of a couple minor flash/fit issues and put it on the back burner because of not wanting to deal with the track...well I'm late with this now and I finally got all the track ready to be built outside of the track pads.

Here is some updated photos of the build. The hull side armor is tacked into place and I just need to add the head/tail lights and couple other minor things. I'm going to be painting it as the parade version, which should be a challenge to make look good without any weathering on it. I also got lucky by hosting these photos on imgur and avoiding the whole Photobucket debacle

_GOTOTOP