Hosted by Darren Baker
RAF Runways
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:23 AM UTC
I am preparing a diorama base to incorporate a section of runway, with a grass area to one side. This will be for a scenario from the mid-1960s. I am assuming that the main runway on a RAF base at that time would have been tarmac, and that it would have been laid in one continuous section (without any joins across the width). My plan is to replicate the texture of the tarmac with a sheet of fine-grade sandpaper over the baseboard, and paint/weather this to suit. Can anyone offer a better alternative, bearing in mind the scale of 1/72?
barra733
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 255 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:50 AM UTC
Hi Paul, I live on Hullavington airfield (now unused) which was concreted straight after WW2. It is one continual concrete strip, although it is looking very worn now.
CreativeDioramas
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2017 - 07:12 PM UTC
You may want to check out the Bond film "Thunderball" which featured an Avro Vulcan taking off from an RAF base prior to being hijacked. I seem to recall that most of the Vulcan scenes took place at night but it's worth a shot.

Ivar
http://www.creativedioramas.com
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2017 - 08:19 PM UTC
Hi Paul,
Jets are very heavy in ratio to their tyre size; thus the very high pressure tyres. Thus, the aerodrome surface bears a great deal of stress under those things, even without fuel and ordnance. No doubt there are a couple of exceptions and yet military started making their air bases of concrete. Some may have an asphalt topping but even that tends to ripple under the weight of aircraft.

Your fine sand paper will work and look good. If you accept to use concrete, then there are a few methods. You can take the quick & easy way and buy a model maker's tarmac. There are several companies who make them.

Or you can make your own. Mathos Models just across the Channel from you makes a variety of foam boards - see these: Foam Board HD and PVC.

NOCH makes some good pavement making products: Terrain Structure Paste Industry or Road Construction Set .

There are other companies who make similar products but those two I am familiar with.

You could go to an artist supply store and get illustration board. Be aware there are many types. You will want a fine-texture cold press Illustration Board or Pebble Board. Those come in big sheets and various thicknesses, and are made to take paint, and even some embossing. If you use low-tack tape, you can even mask it without ripping off the surface.
 _GOTOTOP