_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Review
Acción: Vignettes. A How-to Guide
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 03:33 PM UTC

Carlos Martin reviews the latest title from Joaquin Garcia Gazquez, a detailed guide to build small scenes.

Read the Review

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
aktarian
Visit this Community
Slovenia
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hmmm, seems like this book tries to cover everything in small space. I understand that building, painting and weathering figures and vehicles is important but there are so many instructions and SBS manuals that there is really no need for new one.

If book is about building vignettes it should focus on that, how to create dynamic setting in small area. And not rehash same advice on shading and highligting figures and where and how to build dust and dirt deposits on vehicles.

Maybe book like this would be handy 20 or 30 years ago when you couldn't find advice on painting online and one, jack-of-all-trades book was good addition to your reference library. But now you have so many bigger books that manage to be both wider and more detailed (though also more expensive) and focus on actual build and not on building figures.

Yes, tell me how to make a tree, shrubs, bushes, wooden fences and unpaved roads, don't tell me how to paint a figure. When I need advice on that I'll grab one that has "Figure Painting" in title.
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 07:42 PM UTC
Looks like a complete guide to me!
RHChacon
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 02:55 PM UTC
The strength of this book is the task of condensing a great idea in a small vignette. Joaquín García Gázquez experience is showcased in this book which is a compendium of all concepts composition and creative work required for creating a vignette observing just the greatest simplicity and proportionality. The book teaches us how to use Golden Mean or Golden Ratio in modelling, how to undertand the workings oh the visual perception and some Gestal theory.
This is what really makes this book different.
What amazes me after reading this book is the explanations about how to create the composition, not only for a vignette but also for any kind of diorama.
Joaquín makes the composition easy to undertand to modellers.
RHChacon
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 02:57 PM UTC
The book will be distributed by Stevens International soon!
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 09:23 PM UTC
Possibly useful as a good oversight and general primer on the subject. Can't hurt.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 05:18 PM UTC
Frank, this is not an overview or introductory book, what surprised me was the depth of the coverage, yet for different areas.

The sections for vehicle weathering or figure painting could fit perfectly on a dedicated volume, and used independently of building a scene or not.

There is no wasted space on this book, I found all pages to be worth reading or looked at. And the information is perfectly condensed.

Honestly, I feel that this guide is full of useful resources and I have no doubt there is room for it nowadays.
 _GOTOTOP