Hosted by Darren Baker
Cold War Stuff
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 03:10 AM UTC
Kind of interesting video about Cold War Berlin. I was surprised how many US soldiers featured are equipped with the M1 Garand.

Can't remember if this was posted previously and not sure how I came across it. Sorry if this is a repeat.

https://youtu.be/z4Tk9iYbZI4
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 04:35 AM UTC
Thanks for posting. I love this sort of stuff! ... Especially the dramatic Cold War music score!

So did anyone else notice the near-perfect symmetry of Lieutenant Bainbridge's face? ↔️

Had to chuckle at the convenient footholds nailed to the rooftop of the training building!

Now I have a dumb question: What are the rings painted on the tank barrels? 🤔

—mike
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 07:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now I have a dumb question: What are the rings painted on the tank barrels?

The number of rings corresponds to the first digit of the vehicle march number, e.g. tank 21 has two rings. It is probably the platoon number.

KL
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kind of interesting video about Cold War Berlin. I was surprised how many US soldiers featured are equipped with the M1 Garand.

Can't remember if this was posted previously and not sure how I came across it. Sorry if this is a repeat.

https://youtu.be/z4Tk9iYbZI4

Read American Rifle:a biography The appropriation of the M14 was a protracted process and even stopped dead at one point pending study of the 5.56 round thanks to Secdef. MacNamara. Also infantry was the arm that got them first and supposedly the Berlin troops were not at the top of the supply food chain. In 1961 the armored divisions in Germany had M48A2 and the M60 transition school was getting ready in 7th Army training Center in West Germany.

As an aside National Guard units retained M1 Garand until around the mid 1970s. Battalion Master gunner told me of coming out of basic training in 1966 with the M14 and being handed an M1 for the Newark riots. He had no idea how to load it.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 08:52 AM UTC
@ Kurt, I had a feeling it was something like that. Thanks for the reply!

@ Stephen, Interesting info. Thank you for sharing.

—mike
 _GOTOTOP