_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
DRAGON panzer iv smart kit
cliffy7
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hello there! Ihave just started this kit after about a 10 year lay off from the hobby.Tamiya panzers before but is it just me and the lay off or are the dragon instructions quite poor? GREAT to be back into it again though, love every minute!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 04:06 AM UTC
They can be very poor. Just be careful and study all the drawings.
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 05:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello there! Ihave just started this kit after about a 10 year lay off from the hobby.Tamiya panzers before but is it just me and the lay off or are the dragon instructions quite poor? GREAT to be back into it again though, love every minute!

G'day Cliff

Which kit? The reason I ask is that Dragon makes a LOT of different Panzer IVs.

Regards (from my 31C family room!)

Rob
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 05:15 AM UTC
Nothing like diving off the deep end for your first kit back Cliff. Yes, Dragon instructions are sometimes confusing. Especially if you have multiple build options. Sometimes locations are a bit vague but if you look at other steps quite often what was vague becomes clearer with a different perspective. Just take your time, dry fit and it never hurts to have a little reference material on hand. Also, at the top of your screen is a search box. Enter what you are working on and often you can find a build log to study.
Good luck on your build and welcome back to a GREAT HOBBY !
Cheers
Tom
cliffy7
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 03:49 PM UTC
The kit Is Ausf H mid production Autumn 43 6526. Will have to get extra decals too as only comes with unmarked unit. Thanks for your help will crack on and see how it goes?
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 05:20 PM UTC
Their instructions are notoriously crap. I've built quite a few of their kits and have struggled with the instructions on all of them. They're very vague and often just point to a rough area which doesn't help. One thing that I've found really helps (I always model in front of my PC so I can watch a film or a documentary on You Tube) is to use photos of the real thing, especially walkarounds where you get detail shots, to help work out where and how parts fit. Without doing that I would just stick them in the "unfinished due to lack of patience" kits pile and they'd never get finished. I've got a few DML kits in the stash but using on screen reference doesn't put me off building them as it would have at one stage.
sternumking
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 06:21 PM UTC
I love Dragon kits, but yes, the instructions can be daunting. Study, study, and study some more.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 07:42 PM UTC
As everyone else says, "study, review, use references, etc." And carefully check those sprues with parts marked as "not used." On several Dragon kits I've built, you'll have a sprue with 40-50 parts, but only need two of the smallest ones. I've heard of some folks cutting off those "not used" parts and setting them aside somewhere and later finding that they needed one mismarked part. I learned to leave all the parts on the sprues until you're done building.
 _GOTOTOP