French Army AMX-10RCR
poibrudda6
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 09:51 AM UTC
Aloha everyone!!!

I apologize if this is a dumb question but as I've never served in the military I'm admittedly naïve when it comes certain functions. One such item is I've noticed during Desert Storm the French painted their vehicles in a two tone desert camo but ever since then I've seen all their vehicles painted in the euro 3 tone camo-used even out in the desert environment. Is this simply a by product of where they pulled vehicles from. As an example the Desert Storm vehicles could they have come from Chad? Or did they drop the desert scheme all together?

Thank you in advance!!!
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 11:56 AM UTC
Operation Daguet (Desert Storm) vehicles were painted in France before being shipped in the sand box.

"Permanent" desert camo is only used for pre-prositioned vehicles i.e. Djibouti, Chad, UAE.

Painting a whole fleet of vehicles is quite expensive if you consider painting them again in the 3-tone camo when they are back.

Some vehicles deployed in Afghanistan (Buffalo, Aravis) were factory painted in the desert camo and to my knowledge they still are painted this way.

Olivier
poibrudda6
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 12:30 AM UTC
Thank you Olivier for the info. I guess, can I ask,is there a rhyme or reason? I now understand the cost part-which is huge- but re-painting of vehicles at "home" would that be done if the operations were considered long term? Sorry just trying to clarify.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 - 12:34 AM UTC
I guess that with the extensive use of the vehicles the maintenance teams have a lot to do to keep the operational level at the required standard. Hence painting is not considered a priority.

Olivier
 _GOTOTOP