_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Review
Mission Models: Mission Models Premium Paint
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 12:49 AM UTC

MMP hobby paint is a new acrylic-based paint brand from Mission Models. Although there are numerous acrylic paint lines on the market today, after all the tests I did I feel MMP paint performs far better than any acrylic brand I used so far. Here''s why...

Read the Review

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 01:28 PM UTC
Thanks for the information Mario, quite interesting and hard to resist your enthusiasm!

I still have a couple of questions, though:
Are they really odourless as advertised?
Have you checked colour accuracy? from what I saw on their website, for example German Grey looks too light for me but you can not rely too much on computer screens...
And finally, any information about cost and availability? Their site lists only two shops in USA
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 02:24 PM UTC
I have to admit that after a lifetime spraying Gunze acrylics I never thought I could fall for another acrylic brand. MMP took me by surprise... the paint really is as good as advertised.

As for your questions.

I didn't notice any smell when using MMP paint. (I airbrush acrylics without wearing respirator mask.)

I used several modern day colors which looked really good to me. Russian Modern Green I think is spot on, IDF sandgrey also comes really close to what I feel is a good match. I have more colors to try, but so far I think the tones are very good.

As for the availability, Mission Models is finding the dealers around the globe pretty fast. Most of these are in US, but I know some UK shops are carrying the line and I hope there will be more European dealers soon.

One thing I noticed. The bottles are 1oz, with infinite shelf life and perfect surface coverage... I'm sure a bottle of MMP paint would last a long long time.

Mario
testpro
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 05:56 PM UTC
I was wondering how these paints compare to Tamiya paints? I love the Tamiya paints but you have got thinking about these paints.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 02:22 PM UTC
Thanks Mario, much clearer now. Would like to try some day, depending on cost...
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 05:32 PM UTC
As the range increases I may well have to take a look at this brand.
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 05:54 PM UTC
Mission Models lists $5.75 per bottle. 1oz is 30ml... 3 times more paint per bottle vs Gunze or Tamiya mini (both 10ml).

As for comparison with Tamiya, I feel MMP paint is more forgiving and easier to use. Besides, Tamiya is not a typical acrylic-based paint.

Mario
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 07:20 PM UTC
30mL bottles is pretty good, beats 17mL dropper bottles or even 10mL jars, I prefer a decent volume when purchasing paints.
Wonder if they will be available in oz.
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 421 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 02:11 AM UTC
These paints are worth taking a look at. I like the viscosity although they do seem a little transparent.
deathdork
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 08:55 AM UTC
Any comments on shelf life?
Missionmodelsus
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi Deathdork how are you our apologies for the delay we just saw this. There is no shelf life. We do not add any additional additive to our paint which causes pre-mature failure such as hard settles , break downs , slow dry and more. Our paint is as pure as you can get which means no bad bottles of paint. Jon Mission Models
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 01:23 PM UTC
Any Dealer in Australia?....
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 01:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any comments on shelf life?

Ops, sorry I must have missed this question. The review does include some info on the MMP paint shelf life.

Mario
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 11:35 PM UTC
I used these for the first time last month. See my Tunisian Tiger in "Constructive Comments".

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/255558&page=1

The base color is MMP RAL 8000 with a MMP RAL 7008 camo pattern. There is virtually no contrast between the two colors as far as tone. This is historically accurate, but makes it hard to spray a pattern.

I like how they spray once you get the mixing ratios right. The paint to thinner with poly additive ratio is, while not crucial, very important. I did have some tip dry, but at the same time I live in the desert where relative humidity is low on even mild winter days.

I had some concerns about one of the colors (RAL 7008) not mixing properly even after vigorous shaking. I finally resorted to using a cocktail stick to get the settling off the bottom. Surprisingly the color then changed a bit.

I noticed this color change after comparing some initial test painting to the model and subsequent tests after additional mixing. The new test showed some tonal changes after drying.

Maybe it's me but I really didn't see the "eggshell" finish that is claimed. Yes, I used the Polyurethane additive in the ratios as recommended. That said the paint did dry hard and oil and enamel washes were less prone to bloom. They were easier to clean up as well.

Cleanup is easy. My AB's are clean in half the time using water and some MMP Thinner.

All in all I like the paint a lot. I just ordered some of the primer and will use that next. I will be using MMP's RAL 8020/7027 combo on my in progress build.

Stay tuned.

G
HalfFast
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 08:42 PM UTC
I am a 100% fan of Mission Models Paint. The chemistry involved in this process mimics that of large manufacturers (automobile, equipment, etc...) whose clients demand durable and aesthetic finishes. Polyurethane is THE kind of the castle when it comes to paint durability, and that is the polymer binder in this paint. As for the primer - again the best available. I have officially switched from Stynylrez to MMP primers. If you use acrylics primers - there is nothing superior to this.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 10:41 PM UTC
Wow, great review, Mario! (Sorry, I just skimmed it for lack of time, so I apologize if the answers are contained in the review).

Could the paints also be used for handbrushing?

Also, what is the bare minimum number of bottles one needs to start airbrushing with MMPs: thinner, primer, and base color...anything else?
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 02:34 AM UTC
I finished priming my build this morning. The gray primer mixed with MMP Thinner went down well, leveled out beautifully and covered plastic, brass, resin and epoxy putty equally.

I used my Paasche Talon with the #2 needle (.38mm). I drew the needle back just a smidgeon allowing the paint to flow a bit more freely. Mixed to MMP's ratios, the paint is thicker that what a Tamiya user is familiar with. There is a higher level of humidity here today, so no tip dry whatsoever.

I will post photos tomorrow as time for work is drawing near. I also wanted it to cure for 24 hours before applying the base coat. My preference I suppose.

G

AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, great review, Mario! (Sorry, I just skimmed it for lack of time, so I apologize if the answers are contained in the review).

Could the paints also be used for handbrushing?

Also, what is the bare minimum number of bottles one needs to start airbrushing with MMPs: thinner, primer, and base color...anything else?

Invest in the Polyurethane additive as well. You can't go wrong.

G
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 10:16 PM UTC
Photoyukkit has been acting up lately. Here is a shot of the primed hull.

G

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any Dealer in Australia?....

I quote myself to answer my own question, finally the MMP has a Down Under dealer, the Airbrush Mega Store is the official importer and sells the entire MMP range on the site

http://www.airbrushmegastore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=2050&Itemid=88

But I discovered this week that Hobby Easy also have the complete range .... me first order is on the way!...I hope to intercept it before my wife does...

Anyway, we need to tell Airbrush Mega Store that the "German Armor WWII" icon tank is not German but French.

I also have to thank and congratulate Jon of MMP for having responded in a few hours to my stupid questions .... impeccable costomer service

_GOTOTOP