Hobbyboss ztz 99a and 99b
alainvandam
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 01:24 AM UTC
Hi everyone

I want to build a ztz 99. I'm going to buy the hobbyboss kit and upgrade it with voyager or et pe. Now is my question whats the difference between the ztz 99a and ztz 99b kit?

Kind regards

Alain
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone

I want to build a ztz 99. I'm going to buy the hobbyboss kit and upgrade it with voyager or et pe. Now is my question whats the difference between the ztz 99a and ztz 99b kit?

Kind regards

Alain

The various designations for these are of some confusion in the west, and it appears that what HB is calling a 99B is more of a 99A1 which is a modest upgrade to the turret and ERA of the ZTZ 99A. For what it's worth, if you're not overly concerned about which variant you are modelling the Panda ZTZ 99B has significantly finer detail all the way around. The HB ZTZ 99A is a good kit though, it just would benefit with some PE and time polishing up some fine details.
Spartak
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 03:11 AM UTC
Bronco also has a nice ZTZ-99A1 & ZTZ-99G in 1/35 scale.
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 368 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 05:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone

Kind regards

Alain

HB currently have 3 version of the ZTZ-99 released out with another on the way.

ZTZ-99, this amounts to the initial pre/early production variant as seen with no spaced/era armour.

ZTZ-99A, with spaced/era. the blocks on the turret front point outwards.

ZTZ-99B, later version, obvious difference here is the spaced/ERA add on armour lines now align inwards

none of these have any real A or B designation, they should be seen as 99, 99improved and 99 further improved

coming soon version is the new ztz-99A with redesign hull (looks similar to Abrams in some areas, and slightly redesigned and upgraded turret, most obvious change here is the difference in sights and channel it created in the turret roof.
(this is the version panda released last year)
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 07:49 AM UTC
Hi;

IMHO the Panda new kit is just A Lil-bit better, ive built Both the H.B. & Bronco kits in regards to either the 96 or the 99s !! With the 99s what you have is A offshut of A longer T-72 and with the 96s they tend to have T-55s in there Development .

CHEERS; MIKE.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 10:19 AM UTC
Hi,
the difference between the models that Hobbyboss calls A and B is in the turret's roof. The model A has the same roof with a curved 'humpback' that seems a bit as the top of the turret of a T-80 glued on a flat plate, and is the initial model with the addition of ERA. The B has a flush shape of the top of the turret.
For what I think, ERA are the same on both models.
aristeidis
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 621 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 12:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

coming soon version is the new ztz-99A with redesign hull and slightly redesigned and upgraded turret, most obvious change here is the difference in sights and channel it created in the turret roof.(this is the version panda released last year)

The variant released by PANDA and to be released by Hobbyboss are the same? This should be the latest variant used by Chinese Army? I want to see how the Hobbyboss incoming release will compare to Panda?
aleluya
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi everyone

Kind regards

Alain

HB currently have 3 version of the ZTZ-99 released out with another on the way.

ZTZ-99, this amounts to the initial pre/early production variant as seen with no spaced/era armour.

ZTZ-99A, with spaced/era. the blocks on the turret front point outwards.

ZTZ-99B, later version, obvious difference here is the spaced/ERA add on armour lines now align inwards

none of these have any real A or B designation, they should be seen as 99, 99improved and 99 further improved

coming soon version is the new ztz-99A with redesign hull (looks similar to Abrams in some areas, and slightly redesigned and upgraded turret, most obvious change here is the difference in sights and channel it created in the turret roof.
(this is the version panda released last year)

further correction:
1. A/A1 and B/A2 of ztz-99 are all from internet name; more precise name should be ZTZ-99 phase1 and ZTZ-99 phase2.
2. the different between the phase1 and phase 2 also including the turret section with the Phase2 eliminated the egg shell structure from Phase1.
3. you can regard ZTZ-99A as a brand new tank As it has a new designed chassis and engine, New designed turret which is a bit narrow than ztz-99 but higher.Oh the Laser suppress system is still there, just get smaller than what ZTZ-99 pahse1/phase2 have. the only thing that 99A and ztz-99 shares now is the roadwheel and maybe the suspension..
alainvandam
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 12:03 AM UTC
Thank you everyboey for the replys and help. I have been looking at photos and i see the difference now, the ztz 99a indeed has a bowlshaped roof in comparisen to the b.
alainvandam
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 12:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bronco also has a nice ZTZ-99A1 & ZTZ-99G in 1/35 scale.

Inhave the bronco version. Is it compatible with the voyager pe for the hobbybosskit? I have heard that the hobbyboss one is the accurate one. Is this true?
 _GOTOTOP