_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Chieftain searchlight interior
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 03:44 AM UTC
anyone know what color it was, by any chance? only pic I've seen was of it lit. I've got, and it's prolly not at ALL accurate, tam's M48A3 searchlight source (bulb) I thought I might use. thx
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 03:59 AM UTC
Hi;

The lite was mirrored behind the Bulb element, & the curve of the mirror pin-pointed the lite beam almost like A lite Saber when looking at it in some distance. Also there was A Infa-red filter that could be placed in front of the lite when needed, the filter was in A frame that could be swung in front of the lite & was housed in the lens cover.

CHEERS; MIKE.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 04:10 AM UTC
was it a metallic mirror? can't really see it being glass. I've also got a stick-on insert from an upgrade set that's not yet been used. if it doesn't work out, I'll do what I did with the Mk10, clear red/black mixed for IR
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 05:12 AM UTC
The Chieftain IR/white light is actually a Xenon arc lamp pushing out 2 million candle power with a boost capability to 3 million candle power for 30 second burst in front of a parabolic mirror..

The lights range in perfect conditions was roughly 1 mile. Bounce back in heavy fog rain and mist was a problem for the crews.

The commander controlled the operation of the doors and power selection.

The first turn of the control knob to the right initiates the power, the next setting opens the door and exposes the IR filter, the next turn opens the filter and leaves the white light in operation. My memory fails me at this point but the power boost was either a push down on the control knob or a spring loaded position to the right. Either way it would not allow the light control to remain in the high power setting.

To close things down it was a simple reversing of the control knob.

Chieftain night firing was an art, tanks off to the side illuminated the target and others engaged with firepower.

The light attracted the targets attention but then it was too late to understand that the light source wasn't the real danger.

As soon as the engagement took place the tanks changed positions and roles. Simple but effective.

The commanders spotlight also came with the IR lense cover.

An unused piece of old 35mm film can also look effective on a model.

Keith
afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hi Keith
Was the searchlight linked to gun elevation? Seem to recall seeing a pic at night of Chieftains with elevated guns & search lights, but seem to recall having heard there was no link?

Mal
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 04:50 PM UTC
thx for that, 1648. has a lol at this: ...then it was too late to understand that the light source wasn't the real danger. . not quite sure what color to paint the "bulb"
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 06:25 PM UTC
The arc lamp 'bulb' is a longish rectangular shape, more like a sausage filled with xenon gas and the applied elecrical power fires up the gas within the two terminals (Arcs).

That's the simple form of explanation, it isn't the normal bulb shape you may be thinking of.

Yes the mirror behind the bulb was linked to the gun elevation and it could be adjusted both in elevation / depression and very small limited adjustment traverse left and right by using the correct tool by way of access ports in the armoured casing.

At night of course, by laying the gunners Boresight mark on a target at the correct, set distance or any target at 1000 metres (give or take a few metres)..

This was done by the crews under supervision of the gunnery gods (instructors like myself) and sometimes the REME gunfitter.

Keith
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 01:08 AM UTC
yeah, knew it would be a typical "bulb", and it looks like I won't be using the M48 "bulb", it being a sphere. don't think I have anything suitable to mock one up.

bet there was a lotta hell to pay during "instruction"
afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 02:10 AM UTC
Thanks Keith
I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned in a couple of books that there was no linkage, but that photo cast a lot of doubt, so it's good to have it clarified.

Mal
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 03:52 AM UTC
The Tritium filled 'bulb' sits behind a central small heat shield and hard to see from the front. It lays accross the two contacts not facing front to rear of the assembly. Later marks of Chieftan had a beam adjuster situated on the side of the commanders control box.

So much power was needed to use the light that the auxiliary generator had to be online before using the system.

Again I reiterate, the light followed the gun in elevation and depression by way of the movement of the 19 inch diameter parabolic mirror.

Two micro switches are set to operate the normal limits of operation, minus 230 mils and plus 357 mils.
Outside of these limits a further plus or minus 72 mils is provided during which compression of rubber buffer stops takes place and these buffers decelerate the mirror frame assembly, thus reducing any impact of sudden stops during movement.

The elevation/depression drive is via a servo gearbox attached to the mirror frame. I hope this clarifies things. lol
Keith.
afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 07:18 AM UTC
Sorry Keith, wasn't doubting you, just noting that the reference book I had got it wrong - think it was the Ian Allan Chieftain book, though don't have it beside me to check, at the mo.

Mal
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 05:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry Keith, wasn't doubting you, just noting that the reference book I had got it wrong - think it was the Ian Allan Chieftain book, though don't have it beside me to check, at the mo.

Mal

No disrespect to your good self or Mr Ian Allen but having served on Chieftain for many years and being a gunnery instructor I happen to have at my side the Royal Armoured Corps training book 'Armament', also known as pamphlet 33 Chieftain, commonly known as the gunnery instructors bible.

Somehow I managed to keep hold of it and many other gunnery instructors books when I retired from military service.

If your book says otherwise, ie no elevation of the light it is hogwash. Besides the light would be rendered useless if the gun was pointed at a target above or below the where the light is focused on?

Keith
 _GOTOTOP