_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Does Vallejo Model Color need straining?
Cocat2517
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 12:15 PM UTC
Hi
I'm fairly new to modelling, been doing it for about a year in what little spare time I have. Mostly 1/72 but building an Acadamy 1/35 King Tiger at the minute.

Everything so far has been brush painted but I'm just getting into experimenting with AB. I have the Foxhunter AS186 compressor and a cheapy £20 airbrush off Amazon to get me started & learn on (only painting cheap kids toys out a charity shop for practice at the minute).

I'm finding Vallejo Model Color (and my Tamiya) really difficult to work with. I think theyre clogging the AB? If I'm lucky I'll get a couple of seconds of paint then nothing, just air, or maybe a tiny amount of paint I hold the AB point right against what I'm painting.

I'm mixing paint with distilled water, about a 1:2 ratio (milky consistency) and spraying. I know the cheap airbrush probably isn't helping, but would straining the paint help, assuming that clogging is the problem?

I've ordered some Vallejo flow improver and airbrush cleaner. But should I strain the paint and if so how? Any other tips also welcome!

Thank you!
Pete l
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 01:09 PM UTC
Valejo Model Air is supposed be ready for airbrush use right out of the bottle. But some tips on straining is:

Use a panty hose. The fine mesh is good for straining.

As for Tamiya paints, I use Isopropyl alcohol to thin because it is cheap. All I do is open the bottle when first bought and fill to the top with the alcohol, stir and shake.
TigerTiger
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 01:51 PM UTC
Vallejo Model colour needs to be thinned to a milk like consistency and could do with a retarder to slow the drying time, while Vallejo Model air you can use right out of the bottle. These are two different paint ranges from Vallejo.

You also need to check your air pressure with acrylic as to much pressure will dry the paint on the needle or in the air causing a splatter effect.

The paint doesn't need straining if thinned correctly and the pressure adjusted.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:07 PM UTC
I also find that Vallejo Color thins best with its own thinner,I use 71.161 and as mentioned that Flow Improver makes a big difference 71.262
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 421 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:17 PM UTC
Model Color is is for brush use, Vallejo makes a airbrush thinner for Model Color. It would be better to use the Model Air paints right out the bottle.
Cocat2517
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 05:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Valejo Model Air is supposed be ready for airbrush use right out of the bottle. But some tips on straining is:

Use a panty hose. The fine mesh is good for straining.

As for Tamiya paints, I use Isopropyl alcohol to thin because it is cheap. All I do is open the bottle when first bought and fill to the top with the alcohol, stir and shake.

Thanks.

Doesn't adding the alcohol to the bottle make it dry out faster? How long does the paint last like this when stored? I have Tamiyas x-20a thinner.

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 07:04 PM UTC
Vallejo model color paints can be used either by brush or by airbrush. They do have to be thinned if you use them in a airbrush. I always used the paint vendor's thinner whenever I need to thin their paints.
HK_AFV
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 431 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 - 07:44 PM UTC
Hi Pete,

Should "thin" and "mix" the Vallejo Model Color properly before using the AB. Even with the proper thinner (Vallejo's own, water or isopropyl alcohol) you still need to mix the pain thoroughly by stirring or shaking. I have been doing this for many years and never need straining the paint.

Paul
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 02:34 AM UTC
If there are particles in the paint, the paint is spoiled or not mixed throughly. It should be smooth like very heavy cream.
flippen_waffles
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 02:46 AM UTC
Isopropyl alcohol or Tamiya thinner in Vallejo paints will cause the paint to "curdle" and give you issues, I.E. it wont spray. Sounds like you are thinning the paint properly so I would venture a guess at the compressor or most likely the airbrush being the cause. Ebay is a good place to look for airbrushes. You can often times fine the higher end/more popular airbrushes like Iwata and Badger either brand new or lightly used for significantly cheaper than most stores.
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 03:02 AM UTC
Best to use the Vallejo Model Color products see on the web site:
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/model-paints/auxiliary-products/3/22
http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/2d567ed91fb58cdc74108685395ac19a/CC070-Rev14.pdf
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hey Pete,
As far as the Tamiya paints an adding alcohol to the bottle, I find that the bottle last a while. You just have to clean the rim and threads of the bottle and close tight.

Cocat2517
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 01:04 PM UTC
Thank you for all the advice. Just waiting for the flow improver to be delivered, then I'll have a go with some of that mix in. I've got a little pot to pre-mix the paint in thoroughly before I pour it into the airbrush.

Once I've had some practice with this cheap airbrush I'm looking at upgrading to the Iwata Neo.
Barrikadyzavod
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 06:52 PM UTC
Dear Sir
Vallejo products have been designed with characteristics defined to meet the needs of the modeler in relation to the paint processes of their models: Model Air is designed for direct use in airbrush and its range includes a large number of historical tone references based on RAL, RLM, FS or BS, while Model Color was designed with higher density to be used with a brush, painting details, textures, uniforms, etc.. But it can be used on AB too with a ratio of two parts of thinner for two parts of paint.
You can download too the color charts of each range here:

http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/2f3091938c6b7afb2c1b953bf6a1d8b2/CC070-Rev14.pdf
http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/03ef22048be624ea14b657df2537ec30/CC071-Rev18.pdf

and the complete Vallejo catalog:

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/es_ES/download/a270d32bf5dea98e4815511607c724d9.cms/CC075-Rev15-baja.pdf

Hope this can help you in your decision
Best regards
 _GOTOTOP