_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Board of Inquiry
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 12:11 PM UTC
How about a forum for posting about good or bad dealings while buying or selling on the net. Sort of like the one on one of the gun boards I visit.

Board of Inquiry

The reason I'm bringing this up is a bad deal that I'm having with a guy on ebay. He got my kit then filed a complaint with paypal and got his money back. Now I'm out the kit and money. I think it would be a good idea to let people know about these dead beats.

ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 12:25 PM UTC
This might not be a bad idea might want to put some limitations to it though.
We all know how lawyers are
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 12:44 PM UTC
We are talking about $10-35 models, not $600 guns. I do not think the time spent on such a system will work or be worth it.. If you sold on Ebay then give him bad marks. If you did not, well, I have been taken, from lousy or broken kits to substandard crap. So, buyer beware, and check the ratings on Ebay...

Also, have you emailed him for the kit? He should return it if it was so bad.

sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 07:41 PM UTC
what about the sellers that post misleading information?
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 08:04 PM UTC
OK 2-2dragon if you got $32 to throw away send it to me. I don't think that's an insufficient amount. I was the seller so buyer beware dosn't apply.

The problem is $32 is not in my opinion a small amount. Also the principal of the thing comes into play here. I got screwed and there is no recourse left to me.

This guy filed a complaint with paypal, because he was too stupid to send the correct amount for the kit + shipping after several email back and forth to him. Then when he finally sends the additional 50 cents to make up the difference he failed to tell paypal that things were ok. I send the kit thinking things are OK and leave pos feedback after he does. Now I can't leave a negative feedback and he says he never got anything let alone won an auction from me even though I sent him the link to the page. Paypal says they need him to say things are ok or an online tracking number, here is the lesson, delivery confirmation all the time now. That's the depth of there investigation into the problem. So what is left for me to do? Warn other like YOU to steer away from him.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 09:03 PM UTC
Salt6
You can add a response to the initial feedback. You can't change the Positive to a Negative but you can add another comment that could help someone else out.
On the Feeback page at the top of the list of feedback there is a link Respond to comments. Go in there and follow the links to get to another feeback page. On this last feeback page there is a new Respond link on the right. Go in there and you get the ability to add more (only 80 -100 char).
Sorry you go burned - it's no fun.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 09:07 PM UTC
Scott,

Thanks for the info. I'm going the square deal route now with little hope.

Steve
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 09:19 PM UTC
Howdy Salt6,

I feel your pain pal. A while back I bought a Tamiya Sd.kfz 7/1 with the 20mikemike Flak off of EBay. The entire transaction went smoothly....that is, until I opened the sealed kit box. Inside were all the sprues for an Italeri M109!!
Contacted the guy, he had no idea.

Darn, really wanted that Sd.kfz 7/1.....

Tread.

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 09:22 PM UTC
Steve, at least PM us his auction name so we know to avoid him...my marketing professor used to say, "A satisfied customer will tell his friends, a dissatisfied customer will tell everyone."

Also drop PayPal a line informing them that they are abetting the buyer in perpetuating a fraud. Hopefully you paid the extra 40¢ for delivery confirmation and maintained the little receipt. I send all my kits that I swap with folks via the various forums like here, Hyperscale, Missing Links, RMS, Kithobbyist, etc. with the delivery confirmation. That way you have proof it was mailed and that it arrived. Not that I don't trust you guys, but it does give me peace of mind and assurance to the other guy that the item was actually mailed. Plus he can track its progress after a day or two.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 11:22 PM UTC
Steve,
I kind of like the "good-guy / bad-guy" alert system they use on Hyperscale. You could certainly do that in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

I hope everyone learns something from your experience. It's too bad that people like that screw up the trust factor for all the decent buyers and traders out there. Am I right in assuming that the way the transaction should have worked would be that he wired the funds to Paypal, you confirmed they were there, send kit to him, he confirms reciept and then paypal releases payment? If so I think this is over-protective for the buyer and allows fraud like this to occur. Remember in the world of retail it's generally the buyers, not the sellers, who commit fraud (or theft). I would switch to a payment system that allows you to get the money first....then ship merchandise.

Cheers,
Jim
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 12:03 AM UTC
Jim,

I got his money posted to my account with paypal but it was short $.50. After several emails he says he's going to contact paypal. I don't know how hard it is to look at the auction and add the winning bid to the shipping and compare it to what was sent but he couldn't. He finally sent the difference but in the mean time his checking with paypal was really a complaint. I didn't know this and sent the kit. After I sent the kit Paypal sends an email to me saying there was a dispute. I replied with all the details and thought it was over. The other guy should have replied that he got everything cleared up but I guess he didn't. (Part of his scam.) About six weeks after this is all cleared up Paypal sucks the refund out of my account and the only way I know is a purchase I made with paypal had insufficient funds and had to be drawn from my CC. Now he has no idea about the auction, kit or refund. So I guess I'm out some bucks. My next auction insurance will be mandatory $50 so that I get a little more comfort. I know I could use delivery confirmation but insured over $50 is tracked better by the post office.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 12:54 AM UTC
Steve,
My sympathies. The guys name and email should definately be known to the community.

Also try shipping UPS. They automatically insure at $100 on every shipment.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP