Hosted by Darren Baker
HELP please! M1A1 pics-Op. Desert Storm
M1A1MstrGn
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 11:18 PM UTC
Howdy! I'm attempting to build a model of my tank from ODS but I need help finding pictures. That sounds easy, right? Not so much. I've found hundreds of "tanks in the desert" pics. Except none from my unit. I was part of the 1st Infantry Division (Big Red One) in A Troop, 1st Squadron, 4th Cavalry. We were the lead element of the 1st ID which was the lead element of the Coalition when the ground war started. We were a small unit - mostly Bradleys & choppers, but there were 11 M1A1 HA tanks at the point of the spear, so to speak.
What I'm trying to find are pictures of OUR unit's equipment. I have one blurry, out of focus picture so far. Our unit sported the chevron in the "point up" position with the number(s) 70 as our unit ID. Our tanks were sand color, not camo. Any pictures possibly showing painting details like bumper numbers, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I was only in 1/4 Cav for the duration of the "shooting" part of the conflict as all of our tanks & personnel were transferred into 3/37 & 4/37 Armor following the Iraqi surrender because 4th Cav was ONLY authorized having the tanks for the short period of fighting. My driver, who we called "Jay Bird" Johnson took a lot of photos but he was transferred to a different unit than I was and I never saw him again or his pictures since he had to wait until returning to Ft. Riley to get his pics developed. Also, at that time I no idea that I might need pictures of our tanks & other vehicles to make a model 26 years later!
Anyway, if you can post or direct me to some photos of 1/4 Cav tanks during ODS, please let me know. I'm not real swift on confuser ... er, computer techniques but I have searched the 'Net with no success.
Thank you very much in advance!
Jeff Bailey - M1A1MstrGn (M1A1 Master Gunner, for the curious)
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 11:27 PM UTC
Go to facebook. See if you can find your old unit / friends / division page. I know I have being with 3rd A.D., thats the route I took and its done wonders for me. Thats probably going to be your only and best route.
M1A1MstrGn
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 11:41 PM UTC
Thanks, Lou. I mentioned that I had one picture. That is on FB, thanks to my former Squadron Sergeant Major, CSM (ret.) Richard Colangelo. We got our heads together recently (so to speak) by phone & we couldn't come up with any more photos nor tankers from our unit on FB. However, the search continues, so FB MAY come up with something I can use in the future. If only I had an idea what happened to my old Driver so I could see those pictures of his. Heck, I actually took about three quarters of HIS pictures because he figured (correctly) that since HE was down in the Driver's hole & I was up top in the Commander's position, I'd have more opportunity to see things & snap shots of them. I've kicked my own butt regularly since I got out of the Army that I never saw those photos.
 _GOTOTOP