_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
rye field mid production tiger w interior
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:20 PM UTC
Saw a brief review on this kit, Have a couple of questions. Review said turret interior specifically walls had issues. Was it no parts or no directions on how to put parts in (obviously no parts would also have no directions) The second is there zimmerit ?

Have umpteen Tiger kits and builts wondering if this offers anything special or will I have to invest an addition 50 -60 bucks in stuff on top of kit price
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:48 PM UTC
I have detailed comments on the Rye Field Mid Tiger.

There is no Zimmerit but there should be.

Basically, the outside is very good, but the inside has version problems. There are none of these Final Mid Tigers in museums, so Rye Field took a guess at the interior, with some features from Earlies and some features from Lates.

For example, they have the firewall from their Early Tiger, covered in controls and levers that should not be there. But they have the turret roof from a Late without the structural beams that should be there.

On top of those problems, all the things that were missing from their Early Tiger, are still missing. (water pipes, air pipes, engine connections).

If they ever do a Late Tiger with interior it will surely be better than this, because they can refer to the Tiger in Saumur Museum.

David
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 - 10:30 PM UTC
Thank you David. Marvelous information. Looks like this may be a pass . Hope they come out with a late that is thoroughly researched. if i decide to pick this up. See if can find a resin paper thin zimmerit sheet for it. Can scratch out a few interior parts if i go this route. I have a Dragon mid with a verlinden interior and cavalier zim sheet in the stash. I liked all your improvments sections perhaps you have a picture showing the hoses etc for the engine
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 - 11:59 PM UTC
Dear David Byrden,
Is the Rye kit the wrong dimensions for 1/35? Especially the chassis?
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 01:24 AM UTC
I don't have a kit to measure, but I've not seen anybody mention dimensional issues.
I'd be very surprised if the kit was dimensionally wrong or off-scale. There are plenty of very good kits from other manufacturers to check with.

David
 _GOTOTOP