_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Trumpeter: Ukrainian T-84
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 - 01:17 PM UTC

Trumpeter announces a new T-84 Ukrainian tank.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 - 01:36 PM UTC
They should've release T-80U/T-80UD first
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 - 06:38 PM UTC
Hi;

Well actually, they announced the T-84 & the T-84M in there 2017/18 catalog, along with the Black Eagle !!

CHEERS; MIKE.
bramah4
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 - 09:46 PM UTC
somebody start producing modern parade figures in styrene for thee beasts
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 12:29 AM UTC
That doesn't seem to be the way they do these things - the pattern seems to be "do the more obscure version first, release the common one later". My theory for "do the obscure stuff first" is that "T-80 fatigue" (in this case) will take longer to set in if they leave the most desired versions until last.

That is, if they do a T-84, and an Oplot-M, hardcore T-80 fans will buy those, and then still go on to buy the T-80U and T-80UD when those come out because they're major versions and, no matter how many T-80s you have, if you want a "representative" T-80 lineup, you need them. Whereas if they release the T-80U and T-80UD first, by the time they release the T-84 some people will be "welllll, I've now bought a T-80B, T-80BV, T-80U and T-80UD, that's all of the major versions bought, I should stop".

Doesn't fully explain it though - after all, wasn't the T-80BVD released after Trumpeter's B and BV?
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 04:40 AM UTC
Dragon released a T80 version years ago. I understand that it wasn't well-executed. Or maybe the design team was well-executed after its less-than-stellar release...
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dragon released a T80 version years ago. I understand that it wasn't well-executed. Or maybe the design team was well-executed after its less-than-stellar release...

The Dragon t-80 kits were offered over a quarter century ago, just before detailed information on Soviet military equipment became available when the Cold War ended (timing is everything).

Of course nobody on the design team was "well-executed," as Hong Kong was still a British Crown Colony, and it just wouldn't have been the sporting thing to do, old chap.

However, should anyone feel the atavistic urge to struggle with bad old kits from the dark ages of modeling, the Dragon T-80's are currently available from Zvezda (and occasionally, Revell/Germany).
acebatau
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 05:47 AM UTC
Still waiting for T-80U from this guys
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 02:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That doesn't seem to be the way they do these things - the pattern seems to be "do the more obscure version first, release the common one later". My theory for "do the obscure stuff first" is that "T-80 fatigue" (in this case) will take longer to set in if they leave the most desired versions until last.

That is, if they do a T-84, and an Oplot-M, hardcore T-80 fans will buy those, and then still go on to buy the T-80U and T-80UD when those come out because they're major versions and, no matter how many T-80s you have, if you want a "representative" T-80 lineup, you need them. Whereas if they release the T-80U and T-80UD first, by the time they release the T-84 some people will be "welllll, I've now bought a T-80B, T-80BV, T-80U and T-80UD, that's all of the major versions bought, I should stop".

Doesn't fully explain it though - after all, wasn't the T-80BVD released after Trumpeter's B and BV?

Same procedure as many other industries/businesses.
Release the obscure or premium versions first (scale models of tanks or 1:1 scale cars, doesn't matter). In this way one can sell the obscure or expensive versions to those who really want to have one or have got the money for the premium car. Then the market "onion" is gradually harvested layer by layer until it is time to release the most common or least expensive (budget) version.
/ Robin
 _GOTOTOP