_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
1/35 IS-2, Dragon or Tamiya
Namerifrats
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 01:51 AM UTC
I want to pick up an IS-2. Plan to use Fruilmodel Tracks. I know guys here know what models are good or bad as far as fit, etc. Both are within a dollar of the same price that I'm looking at. From what I've r, Tamiya usually goes together easier with decent instructions. Dragon has better detail and way more parts, poor instructions. So what would you guys recommend. Still fairly new to modeling tanks. Used to build cars about 20 years ago. I have a couple Dragon kits now still in the box....Stug III G and a Marder II.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 02:50 AM UTC
Hi;

Well IMHO you could Call This A "COIN TOSS" -- Some like Tamiya for there Quality & Ease of Construction, and other's may like Dragon for the Better details. Again IMHO Both kits will offer features that will be Appealing, there are always be features that will be over-looked by either name. Research is always important for A special Mk; or A Specific vehicle you may like. AM Products are A Personal choice, even if there not an improvment over a kits details ! I think either kit in the long Run will be A Good pick; How much detail & Work that you are willing to invest in your Build will only Add to your final choice !
GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
gharker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 03:49 AM UTC
While neither kit is perfect the Tamiya is by far the better kit.
The Dragon kit is dimensional undersized when it comes to height and wheel size. The Dragon kit is also a much older kit. Detail wise the Tamiya is also better and comes with PE grills while the dragon kit is molded on and solid.
Namerifrats
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While neither kit is perfect the Tamiya is by far the better kit.
The Dragon kit is dimensional undersized when it comes to height and wheel size. The Dragon kit is also a much older kit. Detail wise the Tamiya is also better and comes with PE grills while the dragon kit is molded on and solid.

Wow, would have thought the Dragon would have been the more detailed. Interesting for sure, glad I asked too. Plan to put Fruilmodel tracks and a metal RB barrel on it.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I want to pick up an IS-2. Plan to use Fruilmodel Tracks. I know guys here know what models are good or bad as far as fit, etc. Both are within a dollar of the same price that I'm looking at. From what I've r, Tamiya usually goes together easier with decent instructions. Dragon has better detail and way more parts, poor instructions. So what would you guys recommend. Still fairly new to modeling tanks. Used to build cars about 20 years ago. I have a couple Dragon kits now still in the box....Stug III G and a Marder II.

The Dragon kit is ancient. Tamiya's has better detail and better fit. Dragon was midway through upgrading their molds when Tamiya's version hit the market, so they abandoned their project to offer a "Premium Edition" kit. The current Dragon version has a corrected lower hull and new Magic Tracks, but the wheels are still very undersized.
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Armorama: 1,067 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 04:24 AM UTC
According to PMMS, The Aber barrel is the best one, check out the comparison reviews.
gharker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 04:53 AM UTC
Agreed with the Aber barrel, it is not cheap but it looks great.
Namerifrats
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 05:07 AM UTC
Aber barrel ordered earlier this evening. :-) Any thoughts on why these barrels are all made in Poland? RB, Aber, etc.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 08:13 AM UTC
Tamiya, definitely
nooplwb
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 09:02 AM UTC
Tamiya.
VelluS
Visit this Community
Keski-Suomi, Finland
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 09:32 AM UTC
I have built both and can warmly recommend Tamiya over Dragon.
Namerifrats
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 09:54 AM UTC
Thanks for all the replies, I ordered the Tamiya kit tonight!
acebatau
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 12:17 PM UTC
Hi, speaking from my experience you should have a look at commanders cupola on Tamiya JS-2, they misplaced the vision slits. Slits supposed to be arranged evenly on cupola, other then that it's a great kit
 _GOTOTOP