_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Using Milliput for tarps etc.
AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 11:16 PM UTC
Hi all

I need some advice on using Milliput for making tarps, I'm using superfine white Milliput and have tried to roll the Milliput into a thin sheet, but it keeps sticking to the roller or baseboard

Do i need to do any of the following or a combination thereof :

a). Wet the roller and/or board ?

b). Should I use talcum powder or similar like a baker does with bread ?

c). Would a glass plate as base help ?

I've so far managed to get the sheet to a thickness of about 1mm (.040") but thats only over an area of about 25mm x 50 mm (1" x 2"), this seems a lot thicker than some of the stuff I've seen here and on other sites.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Happy modelling
Ant
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all

Do i need to do any of the following or a combination thereof :

a). Wet the roller and/or board ?

Nope. The water actually makes the milliput stick better... so keep the water off the work area.

Quoted Text

b). Should I use talcum powder or similar like a baker does with bread ?

Absolutely, this is the best way to keep the milliput from sticking to anything, tools, your fingers, the "rolling pin".

Quoted Text

c). Would a glass plate as base help ?

It might. The rolling surface should be very flat, smooth and hard.

Quoted Text

I've so far managed to get the sheet to a thickness of about 1mm (.040") but thats only over an area of about 25mm x 50 mm (1" x 2"), this seems a lot thicker than some of the stuff I've seen here and on other sites.

If you use a rolling pin that's around 6-8" long, you should be able to make a sheet that is paper thin and around 4"x4" very easily.

Later,
Tim
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 715 posts
Armorama: 297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 10:06 AM UTC
Try using talcum powder sprinkled on the surface before you roll it out
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 715 posts
Armorama: 297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 10:07 AM UTC
I used to use kleenex dipped in diluted white glue way back when.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 10:52 AM UTC
A tip for getting even roll over the area of your milliput.
Use talcom powder first of all as the milliput will get sticky when water is used.
Fix two strips of plastruct or similar at each side ... this will determine your thickness. 1mm strips should give you a 1mm thickness throughout, if your roller is solid. Not sure if its possible to get thinner ... Ive not tried. Should be. Dont be afraid to use planty talcom. Will make life easier and asoft brush and water will remove it!
I use the glass from an old photo frame as my work base. easy cleaned and perfectly flat and smooth.
When I make tarps, I usually use the paper that is stuffed inside new shoes, and white glue. This works best for me and is quicker in the long run!
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 02:20 PM UTC
Talcum power is the way to go. I have been using this method for several years now. Its important to ensure that there is nothing stuck to the rolling pin. I usually sand mine with fine and extra fine sandpaper after using it. Also make sure the glass is free of anything being stuck to it as well. As others have mentioned already, use plenty of powder. HTH "Q"
 _GOTOTOP