_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
US Avenger (Italeari kit)
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 05:29 PM UTC
Hi,
I'am working on this kit.
The Hummer base seams to be correct (due to all the old Italeari Humvee)

My first interrogation is on the rear of the turret !!

I have some pics from the book Military Machine, and the kit is not the same as the pics !!
I also have some pics from the net.

Can any one help me??

Thanks
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 08:59 PM UTC
The extra gear on the back is MILES stuff

SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 09:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know the two bands on the Stingerpods and the kill-light belongs to the miles system but in this case I was talking about the lanrge box with the black ventilators and the the boxes directly above it. It looks like it has something to do with an airconditioning unit I read about a few times because the temperature inside the turred became unbearable.

Oh ok wasn't sure...do you have any more photos of the Avenger? I'm thinking about starting mine soon...but waiting to see if Edward has set coming out for it soon.

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 10:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...It looks like it has something to do with an airconditioning unit I read about a few times because the temperature inside the turred became unbearable.

Most likely an NBC overpressurization system, helps keep things cool as well as being able to operate after being slimed.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 01:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sabot,

Is there anyway to confirm this? I only saw this "addition" on photos takes on a proving ground (like this photo) and from Bosnia.
I also have the MR Models Avanger kit and these boxes aren't there in that kit. This model seems to represent the Gulf war version. If it is an BNC overpresure system shouldn't it be logical that they were used in the Gulf war?

Maybe it was retrofited afterwards. If a vechicle is panted in Sand, it doesnt mean it was in Desert Storm...
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 03:38 AM UTC
http://pollux.com/defenseweb/1996/aug96/avenger!.htm

Marcel - this is a link to a page mentioning the ECU/PPU equipment planned to be added to the PMS to better cool the Gunner. I have come across a few pages mentioning this update of the Avenger Turret, and I believe the Italeri kit represents this equipment as fitted to the Turrets. This is a relatively recent development/option and might not be widespread in US Army service at this time. Other articles concerning the ECU/PPU upgrade appear to substantiate this idea.

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe it was retrofited afterwards. If a vechicle is panted in Sand, it doesnt mean it was in Desert Storm...

Yes, the only units that used Avengers was the 3rd ACR and the 1st CAV, and those were most likely early models. I do know several mods were done to Avengers such as Slew-to-Cue (STC) and some IFF-type stuff. Duck hunting is not my realm so I am not as up-to-date on the ADA stuff.
 _GOTOTOP