_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya M2 Bradley Painting Help Needed
LittleNick
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 03:47 AM UTC
i really need help
i have a Tamiya M2 Bradley and i wanna paint it desert colors
i know that my firts color would be the base coat (desert Sand) but how would i go about
weathering it and wht colors would you use to make it look Dirty,Used,ect. and if anyone could tell me what i should do first,second,thirs Ect.

By the Way i do have an airbrush

Nick

Thanks
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 04:20 AM UTC
After I paint the base coat, I give the model a wash of burnt umbra and burnt sienna. If I want to make the paint faded, I add some lighter color to the base coat and spray all the highpoints on the model. I usually use Polly Scale Mud to simulate dust and dirt
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 04:25 AM UTC
Okay, first, make sure you have the right "desert sand" MM has the right shade in enamel for sure and maybe acrylic. It's at the bottom of the rack. PolltyScale has the color, too, in acrylic. US Special Tan is what they call it.
Once that's applied, I'd gloss coat it and appliy decals so it looks factory fresh with it's markings. You might want to seal this with another glosscoat.
Next, I'd add a spot wash of burnt umber or burnt sienna oils, just dabbing it where I want shadows. You can use a black wash in hte grill areas and on the wheel details.
When this is good and dry, drybrush the base color over the highspots. LIghten the base with 25% white and repeat, then 50 and 75% white. Seal this with dullcote.
Get some light sandy color pastels and add dust, heaviest near the ground and where it would naturally collect. I don't remember if the exhaust stack is visible, if so, add some black pastels fading from it.
Hope this helps.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 04:42 AM UTC
If you are building the later Tamiya M2A2 or M2A2ODS, I'd go with straight desert sand as a base coat. If you are working with the old M2 IFV with interior, I'd use forest green as a base coat so I could have some of the paint showing through where the sand overcoat starts chipping. The CARC paint underneath did a great job of not allowing subsequent coats of paint to properly adhere.

Testers Model Master Acryl makes two types of sand paint that is appropriate. One is Armor Sand (FS30277) and is stock number 4711. The other is US Army/Marines Gulf Sand (no FS given). Gulf Sand seems a little to brown/tan to me, but when I was there in 1991, US sand vehicles varied greatly. Later on in the 90s, the sand color was standardized and looked more yellow to me.
 _GOTOTOP