_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Bravo6 - Full Fury Crew
holliday50
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 11:52 AM UTC
This is my first time purchasing any miniatures from Bravo6. I must say the detail looks fantastic, but I'm deeply disappointed by the amount of flash on these minis. Please forgive me if this is just the norm, as I'm not accustomed to seeing them outside of what comes in a tank box, or my one German winter tankers set from MiniArt. In the US Tank Crew (3) box, looks okay, but one set of arms (the sitting soldier) has flash from shoulder to wrist, and one soldier appears to wear a jetpack of flash. Brad Pitt has it the full size of his boots and massive round plug in his bum. One of the soldiers in set #2 looks like he's wearing a jetpack on his back.

So, my questions, to you modelers experienced with these types of miniatures, are these. Is this the normal expectation of what I can expect to receive? And, what is the best way to clean up the really big ones (i.e. jetpacks & Pitt's butt plug)? I'm a little hesitant to use my little hobby knife on something that big. Do you often have to do this kind of cleanup in prominent areas that require cleaning/filling/sanding on miniatures?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 01:16 PM UTC
All the figures I have from Bravo-6 are cast almost perfectly and as far as I know this is the usual practice with the miniatures from this company.

Are these the figures you are talking about:
review 1
review 2
review 3

Are these your first resin miniatures? Resin figures can have big casting blocks which need to be removed carefully. Sprue cutter, hobby knifw and sanding works best for me. However, most of the pour block contact areas are on the figure parts which will not be visible... hence the pour block on the butt of the sitting figure.

As for the seam lines and flash... this is not the typical practice from Bravo. Are these original figures, bought from a realiable hobby store?

Mario
holliday50
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 12:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All the figures I have from Bravo-6 are cast almost perfectly and as far as I know this is the usual practice with the miniatures from this company.

Are these the figures you are talking about:
review 1
review 2
review 3

Are these your first resin miniatures? Resin figures can have big casting blocks which need to be removed carefully. Sprue cutter, hobby knifw and sanding works best for me. However, most of the pour block contact areas are on the figure parts which will not be visible... hence the pour block on the butt of the sitting figure.

As for the seam lines and flash... this is not the typical practice from Bravo. Are these original figures, bought from a realiable hobby store?

Mario

Yes, those are the same miniatures I purchased. I ordered them from High Caliber Miniatures and they came in the original Bravo6 boxes, which were still wrapped. Below is a picture of one of the bad ones. 2 of them look just like this, with this flash running from shoulder to shoulder and from top of the collar down to middle of the back. It'll be a miracle if I can get this cleaned up without losing any detail.

I have a lot of resin miniatures from board games, but they all arrive already put together, with very little cleanup required. This is the first 1:35 resin figure I've ordered.
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 01:48 AM UTC
[quote}
Below is a picture of one of the bad ones. 2 of them look just like this, with this flash running from shoulder to shoulder and from top of the collar down to middle of the back. It'll be a miracle if I can get this cleaned up without losing any detail.

[/quote]

This is not termed "flash". This is in fact the resin pour block from the casting process. Having these resin pour blocks is common on most resin parts from the majority of manufacturers whether it be figures, kits, conversions or otherwise. Flash of course is just like you see on plastic kits - thin wafers of materials that result from the liquid/molten material seeping between the mold halves.

It is unusual to see the pour block in this very visible location, but given Bravo-6's reputation, I expect there was a reason it needed to be cast like this (it's also shown in the linked review).

The best way to remove it is to CAREFULLY nip away at it with a very good pair of pointed side cutters (Tamiya is still the best in my books - a good small modelling pair typically runs in the $25-$50). After that, carefully carve the remainder off with a new blade in an XActo knife and finish up with fine sandpaper/steel wool/files. If you are careful you should not damage the piece.

Cleaning up resin pore blocks is a necessary evil of resin parts. It just takes some practice, like all other modelling skills. Clean up the arm and head parts to gain some practice before tackling this. From what I can see in the review photos, it looks like the only detail in these areas are some clothing folds/wrinkles so even some minor damage should be easy to sand/file out.

HTH
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 02:02 AM UTC
Everything is normal, forget the industrial producers Bravo as all resin or whitemetal producers are craftsmen, some producers clean more some less and much also depends on the pose, a straight standing figures will likely have the "flesh" underfoot or overhead but for more 'complicated poses this is the norm, if they did so' you would have large bubbles in certain areas where the resin cant reach, however, the picture is all normal and indeed it seems that Bravo put the Flash in smart points smart easy to clean compared to other manufacturers, the boardgame miniatures are smaller and often the poses are "more' simple 'so often have only one casting point on the bottom.

First with a saw you take more you can by staying away from the details, then with files, sandpaper or sandingstick do precision work, then if you find bubbles, joints or details ruined uses a bit' of putty, try not to breathe the dust,is not very healthy
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 02:34 AM UTC
What you are seeing is normal, actually quite good.
Everything is perfect, as long as you don't have mould slip, that is quite fun to clean up...
kefran
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2017 - 04:28 AM UTC
this is absolutely normal, don't stress !

best way i found is the following : get a brend new X-Acto #11 blade, use only the nose point of it by scrapping reverse from the cutting edge, i takes just few minutes till you'll have the excess off

using this i am able to remove flawlessly some very tiny pouches from figures and even re-engraved them after
holliday50
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 02:52 AM UTC
I appreciate the tips from everybody. I was able to use side cutters & the back of the X-Acto blade to get them cleaned up quite nicely. Used superfine milliput to fill in the gaps & primed them in white. They're ready for main paint now.
 _GOTOTOP