_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-55 bits and pieces.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 08:24 AM UTC
After doing a few what ifs, and looking for a change I pulled out the old Tamiya T-55 I had rattling around. This is a model I gave to a nephew, who didn't build it and gave it back. I had started it when the kit was just released.

Of interest is the old box has made in Japan on it, while another kit I got a few months ago has made in the Philippines. However, the upper hull is badly warped, not sure when that happened, but it is too badly mangled to salvage.

At the time the Tamiya kit came out I had been working on some bits and pieces to make it easier for me to strip it down, and perhaps make a T-54.

To add thickness to the turret sight and mg openings I made some oval inserts out of plastic that were then sanded down to fit the Tamiya turret front. Next up I made a "bare" fuel can holder. I made a turret fan cover, but I think the Takom T-54 is good enough.

Going through the forum I learned about the ridges on the wheels, so I added them using stretched sprue. I plan on using the best 2 wheels as masters and cast my own wheels.

For me some pieces are better in resin than photo-etch, and I have been able to find most of what I wanted from Legends and DEF. I am still looking for a DEF IDF T-54 conversion set. I want to get that rear hull stowage bin piece, or at least measurements so I can make my own.

I intend to make a fuel tank line connection fitting, and replacement tow hooks. Are there any suggestions for some simple bits and pieces you think we can use?
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 12:27 AM UTC
Here is the tank look I have decided on. Attached as reference only. Both are Syrian "Rebel" tanks. 01 is a T54B as far as I can tell. The fenders are beat up a lot, but the road wheels look almost new. Colors are green over sand and black over green? I think the dust cover is missing on the gun mantlet, it might have the attachment strips for the wading seal and no attachment fittings for the mine rollers.

I think the tank in 02 is a T55A, but the dust and camo net (?) and tarp (?) on the turret from the main gun firing obscures some details. It is pretty much the same configuration as the first tank.

I want to build a T55 Rebel tank, and looked at my second Tamiya T55 and compared it to the Takom T54B I have. I have read all the reviews and looked at some built up kits, and have started thinking I should cut my losses and get a Takom T55 and back date it to the version I'm thinking of. All the things I have planned will work on the Takom kits, and there are some things I won't have to make.

Anyone have an opinion on this?
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 12:47 AM UTC
Hi Ranall;

I think the T-55 in the second pic; is A better choice also, I like the damaged fender's !! Are you thinking about A DIO; or just A Static Build, and the Takom is A really Good Subject !!

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Ranall;

I think the T-55 in the second pic; is A better choice also, I like the damaged fender's !! Are you thinking about A DIO; or just A Static Build, and the Takom is A really Good Subject !!

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.

Mike,

The over-all scene in the second picture is fantastic. The unlucky owner of the shop on the corner will need new door covers! The building is oddly unique.

If I decide on a diorama it would be more a center of the road than that. I like how the road goes down to the right, and seems to be concrete. The tank commander looks more like a hippie from the 60's than a rebel.

I don't plan on duplicating that tank, but build it's close cousin. I have a Type 69 coming, and just sent for a Takom T55A for this build. After looking over the Takom kit I think there will be fewer head-aches.

I might make copies of the Type 69 wheels for my own use to avoid dealing with the crummy wheels in the T54/55's. Takom really, really needs to redo those wheels!
davidg
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 05:01 AM UTC
If you want another option use the Tamiya wheels. I did this on a Takom t-54 and it was very easy. You just have to remove the part that the wheel goes onto from the tamiya road wheel arms. You can use the all the takom suspension and just snip off the road wheel stems and replace them with the snipped off tamiya ones. Worked for me. I did this because it is very hard to see where th rubber of the road wheel ends and metal rim of wheel begins esp. once paint is added. Tamiya wheels have a very defined line where rubber ends and rim begins.
Dave
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you want another option use the Tamiya wheels. I did this on a Takom t-54 and it was very easy. You just have to remove the part that the wheel goes onto from the tamiya road wheel arms. You can use the all the takom suspension and just snip off the road wheel stems and replace them with the snipped off tamiya ones. Worked for me. I did this because it is very hard to see where th rubber of the road wheel ends and metal rim of wheel begins esp. once paint is added. Tamiya wheels have a very defined line where rubber ends and rim begins.
Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the tip. I know the Tamiya wheels lack some finer detail on the inside, but are still well done. If I don't like the wheels in the Type 59 I will use the Tamiya wheels, or wait for the new Miniart T54B.

I had a look at the box art for the Takom Tiran 4. It shows the T54B early turret. I was planning on combining the T54B and the Type 59 to make an early T54B for the Takom campaign. I'm wondering if the Tiran 4 uses parts from the Type 59.
 _GOTOTOP