_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Small Touch-Up Compressor Needed
barra733
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 255 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 02:00 PM UTC
Is anyone out there using anything similar to this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/quality-airbrush-compressor-Complete-Spraying/dp/B01AA5R4O4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488876290&sr=8-1&keywords=airbrush+for+models

I have a good airbrush/compressor set up in my garage for 'main painting'; but need something I can use at my desk for touch-up and detail work. I'm not wanting to shift loads of paint, and will probably use my own airbrush.

This one has some good write-ups from modellers.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 06:27 PM UTC

I would use a CO2 cylinder with a regulator.
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 09:16 PM UTC
Or get a portable tank, fill it from your main compressor carry it in the house voila, quiet even air flow. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-gallon-portable-air-tank-65594.html
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 10:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Or get a portable tank, fill it from your main compressor carry it in the house voila, quiet even air flow. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-gallon-portable-air-tank-65594.html

I'd avoid Harbor Freight tools at all costs-- you get what you pay for. If you note, this gentleman is sending from the mother country, where options like CO2 canisters and Harbor freight may not be practical. Iwata though has a nice, portable spray unit with a pint-sized compressor. He might look in that direction, but I suspect the small system he's shown will likely work for small jobs too. The primary component in good "touch-up work" is the ability to adjust air pressure, so if you could find something to assist with that, it would help. BearAir used to carry a small brass fitting with a needle valve in one side that would bleed off air pressure,
Right from the hose that could be used in lieu of a pressure regulator. You might look there too.
VR, Russ
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 03:22 AM UTC
I used harbor freight as an example knowing where the OP is from but not knowing the U.K. equivalent of Home Depot or Ace Hardware. Figured the O.P. would get the picture and look for local suppliers. As for the small compressors, I'd steer away from them because those small pumps can pulsate quite a lot. A CO2 cylinder is nice but a reoccurring expense but a tank you can fill off your main compressor is a one time expense. My cousin uses one, actually he has two, he takes it to work, fills it off the shop air and it will last last him a couple paint jobs. He builds autos so his paint jobs have to be smooth, glossy and blemish free. Smooth flowing air is a must for such paint jobs.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 03:36 AM UTC
if you already have a good compressor i think the best option is a portable tank,you can eaven refill at the gas station
HK_AFV
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 431 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 05:33 AM UTC
Hi Ian,

Some options on Sparmax mini compressors on a UK site for your consideration. The cheaper type works fine for desktop airbrushing.

http://www.graphicair.co.uk/categories/Airbrush-Compressor/Sparmax-Airbrush-Compressors/?gclid=CJq5xuTTxdICFQqAvQodFHQE0w

Paul
barra733
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 255 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 02:36 PM UTC
Thanks all. Paul, those Sparmax do look good, and these are by far the cheapest I've seen them.
 _GOTOTOP