_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Creating a wooden base for the tank.
badblood
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 05:03 PM UTC
Hi1

Instead of creating a diorama, I prefer to put my creation into a wooden board or platform where I can put the name of the tank and some wordings sort of museum type, problem is dont know hot to do a good one and how to fix permanently the vehicle/tank into the wooden board.

help!!!!
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 07:41 PM UTC
i buy plaques, the type they mount tropies etc onto, form a shop near to me that does engraving etc.

they come in loads of different sizes, and are pretty cheap. one big enough for a 1/35 tank will cost me £4. the same shop also engraves little brass plates for your text that you can glue on.

to fix the tank to them, i use a thin bolt, drill a hole in the bottom of your tank, and glue the nut inside, taing care the hole lines up. then drill the corresponding hole in the base, thread the bolt through, and tighten to suit.

cheers

joe
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:05 AM UTC
Plain ole white glue works well. It will hold the tank secure enough to handle, but isnt so strong that should you decide to swap vehicles or bases out at a later date, you cant get it to budge. For stubborn areas, a little squirt of water will soften things up easy enough. As for name/ ID plates, any trophy shop should be able to hook you up. "Q"
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:18 AM UTC
I attach tracks using a 1 1/2 inch wood screw. Drill a hole in the bottom of your model, place the screw through, then drive the screw into the base. For wheeled vehicles, I usually glue them down with super glue, white glue, or epoxy depending on the base material. I have also drilled holes in the base and passed thin wire through and around the axles of wheeled vehicles then tied them off to secure larger models to bases too.
Aitch
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 10:23 AM UTC
I buy a big wooden picture frame with a thick surround. I take out the glass and cut a piece of plastic card the same thickness. Then I can fix my model to the plastic with ordinary glue and pins as I need. The frame can be bought quite cheaply, and I can glue or screw a nameplate onto it easily. if it's a heavy model a piece of ply or MDF (as its called in the UK) the same size as the frame can be glued onto the back (now the base when it's lying on the bench), and the plasticard with the model and it's surrounding diorama can be simply glued into place with an epoxy type glue.
HTH.
 _GOTOTOP